Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheapest amount of money it would cost to have a loud amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Apr 9, 2001.

1. well, im lookin for a combo or a head and cab that will handle medium sized gigs, yet for very little price.

im thinkin about the workingman 15 (as said in an earlier thread). but some people gave it a bad report and the price is a little steep.

you see, im 14, without a job, little means to earn money, and i need a bigger amp to meet the bands need of playing at bigger places. im on a very strict budget but i need some good wattage for medium sized gigs. what should i go for?

2. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm also fourteen, jobless and need a bigger amp. Sorry to say this but it is very unlikely that you (we) can find anything at a very low price range with good wattage and good tone. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though. USED EQUIPMENT. That's the only way you (we) will be able to find a decent amp. You're going to have to go to a music store or ebay or the used forums here and make offers and see what fits you best. That's probably the answer you expected to hear, but it's true.

3. I am 15, and in the exact same predicament as you guys. I say, wait to get a summer job, and save up, check up on E-bay, and of course Classifieds and places like www.ugbm.com . I am looking into buying a half stack for cheap, and i have found that these are the cheapest ways to acquire the equipment. I figure that i will be able to get a Used Hartke 3500 and some sort of used 2x10" for under $500. I know this is still a lot of cash, but its an investment i feel is worth making. I could upgrade to a 300 dollar, 100w combo amp, but when i need something bigger, i would have to dish out the $500 then, so i figure i will buy a decent head now, so i can expand later, with a 15" or a 4x10." It will save money in the long run. Best of luck to us ;)

4. i'm 15, also with no job.
    from hearing what most these guys have to say about carvin, i'm getting a carvin. take the PB200 for example. 160 watts, 15 inch speaker, $400. that's much less than swr. don't know about how reliable, though.
    i guess my situation is a little different because i'm only using this as a monitor so 160W is well enough for me.

5. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    I believe you can get a Yorkville 400 watt head at 4 ohms can't remember the stat 8ohm,, which is would it would be with only one extension cab,,, but still very high wattage---for around 450 Canadian,, thats really cheap American--- Yorkville is a Canadian company and they make some quality stuff for the price,, you can get the 400head ina combo version with a 1x15" speaker for around 800 Canadian... This would pump more than enough for medium size gigs,,, with and extension like a 2x10" which is only another couple hundred Canadian you can lower the ohms split to 4 and get all 400 watts out of the head,,, that packs enough power I believe,,, just give yorkville a looksee,, they used to be called Traynor before the tech left the company(peter Traynor)

6. These are all good options, and that yorkville head sounds like a deal. I am really shying away from a combo amp for versatility in the long run. Any amp/cab suggestions for the budget impared? (how many times have i said that?!?! :rolleyes: )

7. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    eeekk sorry boys,,, i checked the US prices on those yorkvilles apparently they are higher in US due to shipping costs and etc... but it is still a solid $1000 for the 400H with the 1x15" speaker,,,, there is also a 200 model which may spark ur interest and is probably alot cheaper,,, just keep lookin its not that hard to find a cheap rig with enough power for mid sized gigs and still some quality tone.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey i'm 14 & jobless 2. I plan on buying an Ampeg BA115 pretty soon-100watts to a 15. BassNW has them for $370-380 reg. + S&H. i'm mainly playing with winds-my lil' 8 can be overpowering with them @ 1/4 volume. I dunno bout the others. thats all

9. ...and there's nothing wrong with going used. Someone else's mistake/change-of-focus becomes your prize. It's usually the best way to get equipment you'd never normally be able to afford. Heck, ALL of my bass heads have been used!

Just make sure it's checked out before you buy (unless you or someone you know can tech it, in that case offer less! :D ). In general, you can't go wrong with a used solid-state number, head or combo. Check out well (sound-wise) any used cabs - blown speakers don't show up cosmetically!

10. Depending on your price range, I would say you could find a used Hartke 3500 and a used Peavey, Hartke, or Ampeg 115 or 410 cabinet for around $500 or so. Just look carefully. Don't overlook Peavey for low cost gear. It may not have the cache that other brands have, but it's reliable, economical, and sounds decent. Every musician I know started out with Peavey. Some still use it.

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I second the used solution.I found an Ampeg B2 with a $75 Tuki cover thrown in for $350, and a month later I found a Bag End S15-D 1x15" cab to use as an extension for $199.

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I bought my Carvin Cyclops for around $500. I think it ws $475... That's a 600w combo amp going into a 2x8, and a 1x15 with a horn.

The deals are out there.

Oh, and by the way... I am also 14... and 14 and then a bit more. :p

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Younger guys - don't forget the bulletin boards at your music stores, all the local papers including the Penny Power-type free ones at the grocery store, and your local pawn shops.

The income tax deadline is upon us and this is when some people with gear give it up to keep the IRS from coming to their door.

14. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    What is this the 14, jobless, and strapped for cash thread? Anyway on carvin reliability I have this to say (relisted from a different post) : My RC210 is a tank, I was carrying it on some ice when I slipped and fell dropping the Carvin which then slid down my long and steep driveway, across the street, and into the mailboxes! (the amp weighs 75lbs. mind you so it was moving pretty damn fast!) (The mailboxes are mounted on old sawed off telephone posts that go at least 5' into the ground, and they have severely damaged cars that hit them at slower speeds than the amp did) I had just got the amp the prior week and was like aah ****in' **** ass cock, I ruined my new ****in' amp! Well I took it back inside, cleaned it up, plugged it in and it worked flawlessly! I damn near **** my pants! I told this story to Carvin and they told me they test the durability of their solid state amps by throwing them 6' on to solid concrete.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey! They didn't do that to my amp, dagnabbit.

Hmmmph!

16. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    They don't do it to every amp. What job that would be though, getting paid try and break stuff ny throwing it. I wonder how one would get such a job?

17. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I was once 14, broke, and jobless(three years ago). My solution was the Carvin PB200, it has 160watts and goes to a decent 15.

Now, there is another issue here, when you say larger places what do you mean???

I just played a 500 seat hall, and all I used was my Carvin PB200 going to two 15's (one of which I was borrowing) and I lined that into a Fender BXR100 that I got for cheap at a pawn.

Now I am looking to up my power and I have come up with the easiest way to boost it. I am going to get a Carvin 1000 watt power amp and run that to an Ampeg SVT-1540HE, so the entire package will be around $1000. Mind you that I like the tone that I am getting out of my PB200, and that is what I am going to line into the power amp @ 0dB. So all in all a good deal, and if I need more power, I can still use the two 15's that I already own

18. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Why not just get the R1000? It's has the same power amp in as the DCM1000, it's got a better pre-amp and compressor than the PB200, and you can get it sound like just like your PB200, only better. You wouldn't have to lug around the PB200 either, though if you removed the head from the cab it wouldn't be a big deal.

19. more reasons to take the doubt away from getting a carvin.

my instructor guy told me never to get a carvin because they were made with lower grade materials, resulting in their low prices. he also said when it comes to doubting if a carvin will get ****ed up, it's not IF it's WHEN. he really had alot of bad things to say (ie: they'll croak within a week, etc.)

but when i think about it, why would these guys here that are generally professional musicians be owning carvin gear and why would carvin stay in buisiness so long if they made such crappy gear?

anyway...my PB200 will be coming sometime next week.

20. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Carvins are cheap because the sell it direct to you at whole sale prices. The way it usually works is the company sells to suppliers, then they sell it to stores, who sell it to you. By the time an amp makes it to GC, your paying about twice as much as is costed to make. Now carvin elminates this by selling it directly to you so there's no middle men and minimal mark-ups. Has your instructor guy ever owned a carvin? Does he work for a music store? When it comes to carvins, you can't beat them for the price, but you can beat them if you spend twice as much.