1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cheapest amp for gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adam_hutton, Apr 9, 2015.

1. adam_hutton

adam_hutton

Jan 8, 2015
    whats the cheapest amp i can get, for playing something like a small bar. Don't have a lot of money to spend unfortunately

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Budget?
    Style of music?

3. adam_hutton

adam_hutton

Jan 8, 2015
    we normally play funk. But my band normally has bass acting as a lead, so it needs to be heard over the guitar

4. Used.

CL400Peavey and MegaSwing like this.
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    And...budget?

6. adam_hutton

adam_hutton

Jan 8, 2015
    preferably new, but if i can find a used one in good nick

7. adam_hutton

adam_hutton

Jan 8, 2015
    300-400

8. Why would you prefer new? Especially to keep within your budget ... if you are patient, you should be able to get twice as much amp on the used market.

99Z3, nuhckes8 and Downunderwonder like this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Used Gallien Krueger MB212-II. An MB115-II or MB210-III would be good options too.
    Hartke Hydrive combos would be something else to look at, and then there is always Peavey.

Absolutely go used. You'll get a significantly better amp for the same money. If you're only looking at new you'd basically be looking at practice amps.

If you must go new I'd probably look at the Ampeg BA115 v2 combo.

10. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I also would suggest used, for that budget - if you really want something you can gig with. Peavey & Traynor gear has a history of holding up real well and being inexpensive in the used marketplace.
    Wait a minute, I changed my mind. I don't know if they are still available but if you can find one of those GB Contour 500 at their blow out price of 349 IMO there is nothing that will touch it for money spent. I have one and one could definitely gig with it, although I am probably going to sell it due to satisfaction with my other amps - but not because it isn't nice. See if you can find one of those and I think you would be very happy compared to anything else at that price.
    Unless your listed budget above was for just the amp and not including cab - then I could possibly give more suggestions.

11. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Craigslist is your friend - and pawn shops. If you are diligent and look for a while you'll find deals on stuff - if not exactly what you want, flip them for some $$ and keep looking.

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Be willing to carry some heavier stuff, and you can get a great deal. Lots of people are getting lighter heads and cabs, so there is some great stuff out there. GK and Peavey are always good deals, and both are tanks - heavy but reliable.

13. It would be helpful if folks gave us some sorta clue as to what part of the globe they live in...the U.S.? Upper Elbonia? Lower Mongolia?

Here in the US a used Peavey combo gives you the most bang for the buck and will handle most any style if the tone controls are adjusted accordingly.

14. Wasn't it really Middle Ebola?

hintz likes this.
  15. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The GK MB combos are really light. The 212 that I suggested in only 37lbs!

16. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Fender rumble!

17. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    To give you an idea, last year I sold a 300 watt 2x10 Trace Elliot combo, and a 15 TE extension cab, all for $650. Pro level gear, and enough volume to play outdoor gigs without PA support. I just got tired of carrying around so much weight.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Walked into Sam Ash (Wyndmoor PA)...they had a TON of used stuff...GREAT stuff...SWR, AMPIG...Hartke...for stupid Cheap...get a cool light Class D Mini head and go grab a cheap cab...you'll be fine...

Or just get something that says PEAVEY on it...loud and you don't even have to take care of it..roll it down the stairs..it'll be fine..like mine for 15 years in NYC

19. Mod edited for profanity...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    Fat Steve, kikstand454, hintz and 4 others like this.
  20. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Buyer's market out there for used stuff.

hintz likes this.