1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheapest bass with the most number of pickup configuration!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whippet, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014

FERNANDES FJB5-DLX PCS

FJB-DLX PCS SERIES | FERNANDES OFFICIAL WEB SITE

16 different configuration!

In fact you can even turn off all the pickups off!
    (and no it's not a mute switch LOL )
    Including coil tap, mid freq. cut and boost, preamp on and off.

Less than 950 bucks at current exchange rate.

Too bad it only has 21 frets, but then again for the price I guess I can't complain.

Nunovsky likes this.
  2. I'd love to spend some time with that just to compare all the tones of the different coil mixes. I've been gassing for a setup like this in a Jazz with the outer 2 coils in the classic '60's position so you always have a good old J bass but with a handful of other tones.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Fender Roscoe Beck. Series/single/parallel switch for each double jazz pickup and a three way selector for bridge/both/neck pickups.

It's all passive but one could easily put a preamp in it.

I am having a bass made by Hammersmith that borrows that concept for the bridge pickup (series/single/parallel switch on a Seymour Duncan NYC) but has a P bass at the neck. Should be ready for NAMM if not soon after. :hyper:

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's the cockpit layout:

P.C.S.解説-FJB-DLX-PCS.

Whippet likes this.
  5. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Seems sort of convoluted, and in reality it only has pickups in two locations. My Godin Shifter came with three pickups and six switching options. In theory you could wire it ala Brian May with an on/off and a phase flip for each pickup. I'm busy improving the bass in other areas, but the notion of having that much control is interesting. The difference with the Godin is that there is a pickup butted up against the neck, and one right down at the bridge as well as the conventional P-bass location. The Fernandes in OP's looks like a Jazz on steroids. The pickups are in the Jazz location and you can switch on or off each coil for each pickup. Quite a cool setup, and probably good for getting many Jazz tones old and new. No option for series/parallel for the pickups or the individual coils.

6. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Interesting, but given the fact that you have a pup balance control, I see little value to configurations 3, 4,5, 6 and 11.

Series/parallel options, like I did here NBD (SX content) would be useful.

7. The Ibanez ATK 800 has a double humbucker in the bridge and a single at the neck that can be blended in to any degree or used alone. Stock the humbuckers have 3 choices back, both, front. Add that to the blend and a 3 band active eq and you get some serious versatility for about 1000 Canadian right now.