1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheapest bass you've ever put aftermarket pickups in.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Two-Spirit, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM.

1. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    $100 for strings?

troy mcclure and saabfender like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

pickups would be the first thing to replace if the piece felt great but sounded so-so/bad. once you decide to upgrade parts on a would-be player: the world is your oyster.

Dean N and ERIC31 like this.
  3. Mordamir

Mordamir

Oct 19, 2018
    Not a bass but my $45 pawn shop Silvertone guitar has EMG 81/85's in it because I had some laying around.

Williethump and mikewalker like this.
  4. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Bartolini’s in a Squier VM P.

Nev375 likes this.
  5. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    One I got free from a garage sale,last hour of the last day.Everything must go.Possibly a hondo II p bass.I had a dimarzio a guy had given me in trade of a beat snare drum.

6. blip

blip Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    I put a Carvin jazz pickup in a 2x4. Action's a little high, but it sounds great!

Don't have any pictures, but I used it in a music video recently. Good fun :D

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    Mine would be the bass in my pic to the left. It's a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special SS. I paid $179.99 for it. It has Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder PJ pickups in it in addition to a Vintage Relic Jazz Bass pre-wired upgrade harness.

While we're on the subject of cheap basses let me point out that I think the one thing that should be changed on all cheap basses is the wiring harness, pots and jack. This is one thing that I guarantee you the manufacturer is going to use the absolute cheapest parts that they can find to use and you really want to at least upgrade them a little.

ejaggers, rohi, ERIC31 and 5 others like this.
  8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    I have a MIJ Squier SQ Jazz bass I paid $75 for, and I put in Bartolini PUs (and a Hipshot Extender). ;)

lowphatbass and funkinbottom like this.
  9. EMG P/J's in a Squier Affinity.
    It's one of my favourite basses...

blip likes this.
  10. Mojotone Lipstick Tube into a Squier Bronco.

Pickup cost as much as the bass does secondhand. Worth it.

11. Ghook

Ghook

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    AHHH! Your bass has a brand-name , mine won't . It's a fullest bass sounds for deeper appreciation of musics at EBay. We will share the same GFS pick up however. BTW, your bass was $5 cheaper :)

40Hz likes this.
  12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Seymour Duncans(bought on sale and lying around in the music room) in an SX at a gig during the "wasted time" between early setup and play hours later:
    TopOff.

SD Installed1.

SD Finished.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:58 PM
  13. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    I'm much more positive about typical 16mm Alpha pots than many people, but I can't +1 replacing the jack enough.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:09 PM
  14. solderfumes

solderfumes

Mar 16, 2016
    I got a CV 50s Precision for $99CDN on Boxing Day and have installed an Artec mudbucker, a TV Jones Thunderblade, and most recently a McNelly single-coil P Bass pickup (all simultaneously, not one after the other): total cost about $450CDN. In my case, money well spent!

mikewalker likes this.
  15. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    DiMarzio Model P in a 1981 Hondo II, EMG Geezer Butlers in a 1994 MIM Black Label P.

Both cheaper basses, both sound amazing now, and I regularity play both on weekend gigs.

image.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:21 AM
  16. Scott Baiowulf

Scott Baiowulf

Apr 7, 2017
    Houston
    21A3AC4C-EB19-48BD-801D-379F31791DDB. Sadowsky hum canceling pickups in a MIM jazz body I got off Reverb. The neck came off a p-bass I got cheap on Craigslist from another TBer. They’re the growliest things I’ve ever heard.

mikewalker likes this.
  17. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    DiMarzio DP-127s in an SX short-scale "P".

DiMarzio DP-123s in an SX short-scale "J".

Each bass was in the $75-$100 price range, the pups, $100-$120 (per bass).

18. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    MIM Jazz, Basslines SJ5-3s (quarter-pound) on recommendation from the guitar player at the time-- he even installed them for me. This was many years ago, not even sure I like them that much, but I don't play that bass much anymore anyways. Otherwise, I don't change pickups, the stock ones always sound fine to me. :)

19. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    373C69A1-57AF-4BCD-9CED-E99DA3F16410. I put a Hammon DarkStar in my Classic Vibe P.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Saw mine on the clearance rack at the local GC. How can you say no at that price? Especially with that utterly bizarre pickguard.

(I’ve been told you may see this same bass with other names on the headstock as well. Guess this model gets around.)