Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapest Fodera 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    :ninja:

Hey everybody,

What is the cheapest Fodera 5-string on the market? Used specifically. I've really been GASing for one for... well, forever. Even though they're REALLY expensive, I will own one one day. The bongo will go and a Fodera will take its place. Or something else.

Thanks,

Matt

:bag:

EDIT: To anyone who was wondering, this WAS inspired by another thread.

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Price varies on the used market but, in general, an Emperor bolt-on 5 will be the least expensive in the line. You may also check out the NYC Series 5 strings as they do show up from time to time and are very high quality.

3. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I've had this one for sale on and off, I was asking $2800 for it.

4. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    This bass is a steal at $2800. If I were in the market for an inexpensive Fodera 5, I would be all over this one...

5. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    Thanks Joel, that what i'm saying..nobody wants this great deal.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Hey Joel, you know anything about the Fodera Standard 5s? Is that one above it? I was looking at the Fodera that was at the website (The Buckeye Burl I believe), with Maple board, I couldn't see myself spending over 5k on a used Fodera, but I want one, (not like the type above, the less I don't know how to describe it I guess less jazz bass type and more "Fodera" type?)

7. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    There's a model called "The New Standard" which are essentially bolt-on basses with a two band EQ. There was talk when the line first launched about doing four string Monarchs and five string Emperors but the five's never materialized.

The bass above is a bolt-on Emperor and I believe was designed to be very similar to Joey Lauricella's bass - which is very 70's jazz bass inspired. I'm a huge fan of 70's J basses so for me this is a great combo.

If you're not a J guy you may want to go with a set-neck or neck thru with dual coils and some other non-fender wood combo like Mahogany, Walnut, Korina, etc.

There really are almost endless options when it comes to Fodera. Drop me a line at the shop (joel@thegrooveshoppe.com) and I can help you identify the elements that would best work for you once I get a sense of what sound and feel you are after.

8. It's a shame that Fodera never maked the bolt-on Emperor 5's :meh:

9. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Well they do make a bolt-on 5 (as pictured above) - they don't make "New Standard" series 5. Maybe someday though...

10. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    Yes, this one is an Emperor Bolt-on 5, not the "New Standard" which everyone thinks is sub-par for some reason.

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    "Cheap" is really the wrong word - might want to try inexpensive. There is nothing cheap about a Fodera.

Mike

12. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    +1

Well said Mike.

13. Yeah, they look great. There is a damn nice one at bassexchange.com. Marcus Miller is playing it. The white Emperor 5. It smokes :smug:

14. There is an Emperor 5 bolt-on on eBay with a starting bid of $1,999 and no reserve. Seems fairly inexpensive for an instrument of that caliber. The bass has a figured maple top and headstock veneer and what looks to be an ebony ramp. The only downside is that the seller is a GC rep with several negative feedback entries.