Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapest/Good guitar bridge

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've got a guitar, but the bridge broke on the high e, instead of replacing the somewhat expensive tremolo system, I've decided to get a cheap/simple alternative. It's a Peavey guitar... are all bridges fairly universal? I just want something cheap that isn't awful. I still want sustain, obviously.

2. Tell you what I'd do... Is it just the saddle that broke? If so, I'd put out $30 for a set of String Saver saddles. Give them a call, and they'll be happy to tell you which saddles you need. I would then recommend going to StewMac or some other parts supplier and order from there, as it'll be cheaper than ordering directly from Graph Tech.

http://www.graphtech.com/contact.htm

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's weird, it's not the saddle, but it is. It's built onto the bridge. So, non replacable... it's such a small amount of damage, but a big pain in the bum.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bridges on guitars, like basses, are NOT AT ALL universal. Got a picture?

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Or a model name/number?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow... guess I have to pull it out of it's case (it's been sitting there for months)

It's a Peavey "Predator"

Actually Lizard King's auction he pointed out seems to be for the same brand!

But it looks like there are different types of Predators.

Example: Mine looks nothing like this:

[​IMG]

Mine has soapbar pickups, a non strat type input jack (just a standard, flatfaced one). And there is only one tone/volume knob. The guy I bought it from probably did a pretty custom job, I got it at a yardsale.

What's up with that bridge in there? Gold hardware is ugly... but it's cheap. It looks weird, is it plastic wrapped?

I'm going to try to get a picture up tonight, I have a day to decide if bidding on that stuff is a good idea. 15 is a lot for shipping.

7. Go through the bridges on www.stewmac.com and see if they have one that matches, they give dimensions....

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Can you post a pic of the bridge? I can't recall ever seeing anything on an electric, except for archtops, where the saddle was part of the bridge itself, and couldn't be replaced. If you could post a pic, we should be able to come up with something. Allparts has TONS of bridges and parts.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Let me work on a pic of the bridge injury...

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Why not just file the slots where the strings rest, and smooth them out a bit. This generally will alleviate your problem without having to replace the whole bridge.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    [​IMG]

artsy...

see the high e.... I don't think that's replacable...

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    okay, how tall is the bridge?

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Tall? I don't have a ruler... do you mean how far does it come off the guitar? Including the pegs, I'd say about 3/4 inch.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  15. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    This has absolutely no relavence to your question, but it seems somewhat odd that your guitar has 23 frets. I've never seen that before...why didn't they just stick on the final one for the full two octaves?

16. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That looks like a Kahler tremolo to me. Have you contacted Peavey yet?

Check this out........

[​IMG]

Look familiar? Follow the link for replacement parts.

I believe this is what you need. $5 from Kahler.
    [​IMG]

You'll have to remove the bridge and partially disassemble it, but I think this is the best solution for this guitar. Nice guitar BTW. I hope you got it cheap because of this problem that is incredibly easy to fix with a $5 replacement part.......

17. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't think so. It looks to me like the notch which holds the ball end of the string is busted. Thus, no E string will ever be able to stay on this bridge.