Cheapest head right now

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shortscale kid, Sep 24, 2018.

1. shortscale kid

shortscale kid

Dec 9, 2017
    Austria
    What would be the cheapest head you could possibly think of? Should have about 200+ watts. An very intense overdrive built in would be great.

Size, class, tube/solidstate and weight is completely irrelevant. Ugly and weired recommendations are welcome!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    A CL or Reverb search with $$ parameters based on your budget will turn up lots of real choices rather than a list of theoretical ones.:thumbsup:

3. shortscale kid

shortscale kid

Dec 9, 2017
    Austria
    sure have already done that ;)

4. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  5. Mr. Business

Mr. Business Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I’ve got a Peavey MiniMax for sale in the classifieds. It’s 500 Watts and it’s got a distortion channel. I agree it’s the best bang for the buck as well.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    So, what'd find?

7. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Behrenger Inuke 1000 Poweramp ($149 new) and some cheap preamp pedal to drive it. 600 watts into 4 ohms. So cheap it will pay for itself In 3 shows or less.

8. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Consider a TC Electronics BH250. $249 new and less than 2 bills used. I have one as my backup/ want to move quick amp. Works great with 2 210 cabs (4 ohm load).

The TonePrint feature is really flexible and there are some really good distortion tones. I use TubeDrive all the time, but The Beast or The Grind would be more likely be your speed.

If you do get it, go another $40 for a Digitech 3-button foot switch which will let you switch between 2 TonePrints and Mute. It’s the same function as the TC branded one at 1/2 the price.