Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CHEAPEST, most inexpensive, least expensive bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rx jr., Dec 25, 2004.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I think I'm gonna give a beginner bass for christmas. must be under $100, as I'm tight on my budget and it's a beginner bass. the person knows nada about basses, and I wanna get her to learn an instrument.

thanks

2. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    Rogue maybe. Also try brands like Hondo, Agile.... I will come bgack with a ling to one website with really cheap gear.

3. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
  4. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    hi iskim.
    while i agree that a beginner needs a beginner bass, i think it's worth noting that a cheap cheap bass could possibly turn this beginner off bass altogether.
    read bad action and buzz in particular can really stress a new player out, because they find everything is very hard to play and when the do play it right it still sounds like ****.

those essex (or SX) basses in that page linked above me there are good basses considering how little they cost. i've played them before; a beginner would be happy with one of those.

do you know what style bass to look for? P bass? Jbass?

5. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    Agreeing with what they said. You could always give the money to her for her to add to and buy her own bass.

6. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    yeah but the basses at rondo don't come with amps. I want to include an amp and a case with it. rondo was the first place I went to but those Drive packages can be had for $170 with amp and case and all and the Johnson cheapies on eBay can be had for like $130...

7. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn

no preference... probably a P though? thanks

8. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    Whoa, man, I dont know if you are going to find many Packs for under 100$. And if you do they are sh*t more than likely. Can you put your money together with another family member maybe? Or like I said give her the money for a bass and let her add some. So she had a part in it and will respect it even more.

9. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    im not in the us, so im not an expert on what costs what there. but i dont think you can buy a bass, amp, and case brand new for $100. if you did, it would probably a total piece of **** and the beginner wouldn't enjoy playing it.
    i would get the bass for $100 or so then buy a little 5w amp and spen as little on that amp as possible. beginner wont be gigging or anything so they dont really need a case yet. maybe get a gig bag when they start ventuing out to garages in the future.

how old is this beginner? male or female?
    do you play bass?

10. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    the beginner is 18, female
    I play bass and guitar but bass is my secondary instrument

I think I'll just go with Rondo... not too many options and those basses at Rondo are awesome for the price...... thanks

11. A washtub bass might be the way to go if the essex is out of reach. Mine is:

17 gallon washtub (you can go with a 20 gallon)
    4 ' nylon parachute cord
    wheel barrow handle
    machine screw with eyelet
    krylon purple spraypaint.

All of the above items are available at hardware/home improvement stores for about $25.

12. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    any other suggestions are welcomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

13. Yo Isaac!! Hows it going!?

14. Bassme

Bassme

Dec 26, 2004
    St-Louis
    for a real cheap bass go at a pawn shop you will find great deals and some basses are awesome conditions ... look at Eddie Van Halen's guitar, bought at a pawn shop put a paint shop good a new

15. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    eddie used quality parts, such as strat NOS and hand-wound seymour duncans. that wasn't a 'pawnshop' guitar.

is the girl small? if so a short scale bass is probably the way to go.
    i think that 30" sx p-bass is a good bet for a beginner girl bassist.

16. why not just an e-bayed squier?

17. You should never give a girl something that you wouldn't want yourself. So get a standard scale, in case you want it later.

Video games also make good presents. Maybe she would like SOCOM II with the hard drive and ethernet adaptor.

Other than that, short-scale SX P bass would be the ticket.

18. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    heeeeeeeeeey Justin :D

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Because Squiers are trash.

20. My little brothers P has really done me well. I am home for xmas and with my Cirrus in need of a fix, it has really made me interested in getting a P. As long as it has a new set of strings.