Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapest place for Lakland Skyline?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Dec 13, 2004.

1. where would be the cheapest place to buy a Lakland Skyline 55-01? i've kept my eyes open on Ebay but they still run for quite a bit my budget is about 650, Musicians friend sells them for 700, i might be able to save up 50 more dollars but i prefer to go lower. any ideas?

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Have you tried Bass Central? www.basscentral.com

Give 'em a call, they're very friendly and Gard usually gives TBer's a discount if you mention to him you're a poster on here. good luck.

3. yeah i actually do know gard, i bought my GK from him 2 years back and he gave me a great deal on it and i have nothing to complain about. he had one for sale in july used and they sold it right away. He told me they really cant go that low with the brand new ones though.

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I know, I almost ordered a Joe Osborn Skyline from him back in July as well but just couldn't swing the cash flow. Good man, great store.

5. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    I just saw a 55-01 on Bass Centrals site for $699. Black with a maple neck.

6. im looking more along the lines of used and maybe cheaper than 700 my budget right now is 650

7. was it a Joe Osbourn 5 or 4 string? the 5 string is amazing, its how fender should make them and actually have a B string that isn't a shoe string.

8. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    Staying in the used arena, this forum is the least expensive place I've found. I just bought a new Lakland DJ from a local dealer, at a very good price, but I could have had the exact same bass for almost $350 less from someone here. It's a matter of luck, but I've had 3 great deals and made friends to boot....
    You knew that, though.

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I was looking at both and yes I agree, it's how Fender should make a Jazz 5 but don't. I had a J5 and it just could never be set to my satisfaction even with different strings and pups. So I moved on... but I still want a nice passive Jazz even though I have no need for one.

10. I've looked on Ebay and several places for some, the local music store in our town has one for 850 bucks(BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) and they wont even let me try it out before i buy it so thats obsolete, if you know anywhere else with great offers PM Me, Thanks Gard and Eggman for the offers, i will consider them

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Basscentral.com has a used 55-02 in natural for $649.

12. no problem i haven't played their fretless' the only time i ever played a lakland was at Guitar Center and they had a 55-01 and i fell in love with it right away. i played it through a GK 400RBIII(naturally :) ) and it sounded insane.

13. I have a 55-01 with the Bartolini upgrade & Hardshell case. $575 shipped.