Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapest power boost

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furtim, Dec 12, 2000.

1. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Just wondering... what's the cheapest way to boost an amp's volume: more powerful head or bigger cab with the same head?

Or is it not even possible to change just one?

2. A bigger more efficient speaker cabinet will give you more sound with a given head than a smaller less efficient cabinet. So that's one option.

More wattage into the same cabinet is the other option.

I'd say find a huge speaker cabinet, like a big horn loaded 18 or 15 or something. Look at the bass PA cabinets, too. I used to use a single 18 in a sugar scoop cabinet with only 100 Watts, and was plenty loud and low. A lot of times these big monsters are cheap cause nobody wants to lift 'em.

Looky here, he's got some biggies:
    http://www.jcguitars.com/bassamps.htm

Chris

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Either way will work, so the cheapest way is whichever is cheaper :)

In general, adding speakers is more effective than adding wattage.

4. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    So transplanting my current amp head (from a Fender BXR-25, by the way) onto a larger speaker cabinet is my best bet?

Does anyone know off-hand how much I could expect to spend if I wanted to get 60-watt equivalent sound out of my current head? Or at least what specific equipment would do that for me?

5. um... i may stand corrected, but i do believe that the fender BXR 25 is a combo amp... or is it a head? A 60w equivlient combo amp would be the Fender bassman 60? I'm not sure what your asking though. If you just want ideas of other combo amps out there, there is teh Fender Bassman 60 (60w, around $350), the Fender Bassman 100 (100w about $500), Ampeg BA-112 (50w around $350), ampeg BA-115 (100w around $550). I just wanna add that going from 25w to 60w isnt actuly that much of a sound change, and will hardly be audble (am i correct? i'm not sure) also, i think, but not sure, but its around a 3db audble change i think, somthign like that, i'm not sure of the exact numbers, but i do know that you'll be able to notice the difference of a 100w compaired to your 2w much easyer than the difference of a 60w to your 25w.

6. Each time you add 3db it is like doubling the power this dosn't increase the volume much. When amp companys make the next size larger amps they also use more effecient speakers. The cheapist way to increase the volume is to get a more effecient speaker, or what I looking into is to try a powered sub cab made for home theater some of these sell for as little as a dollar a watt, this and a good 15' speaker will give you a good increase in volume. ps I havent tried this yet.

7. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    25-60 isn't much of a boost, eh? Bummer. So how would I manage a cheap, but noticeable, boost in decibels and "penetration"? The BXR-25 is a great practice amp, but I'd like something a little more appropriate for live performance... And don't want to spend the money for a complete replacement. That was basically my point in this thread.

8. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I have found that the biggest loudness increase without power increase is air movement. THE very best cab with the largest Cubic inches of surface area is the 8-10 cab. I find that they are THE way to go to get more volume from less watts. They ARE heavey but they ARE worth it! Ive tried to get big sound from all these little cabs, and I've tried every combination there is, and I've found nothing beats the 8-10 cab. You just need to get the guys in your group to get off their lazy asses, and help you carry it!

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not to be a downer but you're going to need to be thinking somewhere between 100-400 watts, and an efficient speaker. in a combo amp you cant replace just the head or just the cabinet. some combos allow an extension speaker but i'm betting against it in your case. look around for used combos in the 150 watt range with a single 15 if you're not willing/able to spend a lot of cash. some of those like the venerable peavey TNT have been real workhorses. they're not going to cut all gigs, but they can do a lot of them. the swr workingman's 15 (NOT the LA 15) is also a great amp in that category.