Cheapest strings ever???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, Aug 8, 2001.

1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Has anyone tried out the Mars Music brand strings? I was thinking about buying some for a cheaper bass that I'm selling since it only has two strings, but I don't want them to be too crappy. They cost only $3.99 at Mars, which leads me to believe that they suck, but who knows, they could be alright :confused:. If you've tried these out, please share you experiances with them. Also, if you haven't tried them, what are some other cheap (less than $15.00) strings that are decent? Thanks for the help! :)

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Haven't tried 'em, but right now, Musicians Enemy has Ernie Ball Slinkys for $12.74 a set. I doubt that you'll find anything else under $15 as good. It's a sale price, I don't know how long it's good for.
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    why "Musicians Enemy"? They have such low prices and good selection? I didnt know we hated them :confused:
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    If you're selling the bass, it really won't matter what strings you put on it, whenever I buy a bass, I always throw the strings on there in the trash. They're never good.
  5. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    well I'm selling it to a good friend, and I didn't want to screw her over with crappy strings, she's just beginning. BTW I went and bought two sets at Mars because I found out from a salesperson that they're only selling them for $3.99 for this first month. After this they'll be $19.99!:eek:! The only drawback is that they are all light gauge and they have a red cloth-type winding at the top and bottom of each string, which I don't mind too much. As for sound, they're great! Very responsive and snappy, yet also very well-rounded. I'd reccommend grabbing up as many sets as possible before the price rises! Just my opinion though... :)

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Never seen nickel roundwounds cheaper than the Vinci "RK" series at the Woodwind and Brasswind Rock'n'Rhythm department ( ). $12.99 for 6-string sets and I think I remember 9.99 for the 4's (but I haven't played a 4 for six years now so i can't remember).
  7. IMO i think the clothy parts look all funky and jazzyfied :D
  8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The 4's are $8.99, 5's are $10.99, 6's are $12.99. And they actually sound good! How 'BOUT it?

And besides, you can boil these things a dozen times and they keep coming back. The ultimate "cheap" strings!
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts

Wow, that's even cheaper than ($5.99 a set), the previous champ in el-cheapo bass strings.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The new Musicians Fiend sale catalog is offering Rogues for $2.74 a set.

I shudder to imagine what they feel and sound like. :eek: On the other hand, they may be so bad, they're good!
  11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I guess I should mention that strings are sort like everything else in this world. It is all in the packaging.

There are some people out there winding their own strings, DR, Fodera, Ken Smith, etc. But when it comes to cheap strings, there are only a couple of plants that wind them and the stick them in whatever kind of package that you want.

Crack open the pack of about any kind of cheapo string, it is probably a boomer. Nothing wrong with that. I just say that to suggest that you give the cheap ones a try. They'll die quicker, but at those prices, you can change them more regularly.

12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    get some used strings from a friend for free. That is what eric clapton does, and he actually uses them.