Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapest Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Jan 12, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey there. Lately I've developed an ebay addiction and suddenly I own more basses than I thought would ever be possible to own. Needless to say, stringing 'em has become EXPENSIVE.

Since I don't gig much at all (what little I gig is in the studio for friends) I cannot justify spending a lot of $$$ on strings. So I am always on the quest for the cheapest strings. Not the cheapest price on my favorite high end strings but the cheapest strings, period!

Lately, my cheapie source has been Musician's Friend. They sell 5 string sets for $8.99. I'll use them to string 5's and 6's (I buy high C's in bulk to pair with the 5-er sets) and I will also use them to string my 4's and keep the low B to later match with a 4 string set. I have also popped into local stores that buy very generic 4 string sets that I can sometime get for $7 per set which is even better.

Now you may say $7-9 per set is not bad. True, but I want to go even lower if possible and am looking to uncover your cheap string secrets. I'll buy them in large quantities if necessary. That doesn't concern me-- I just want to find the lowest price per set of strings possible. Brand is not important!

What do you guys do to get the absolute cheapest strings?

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Since you are getting 5 string sets and such I cannot think of anyplace cheaper then those MF sets.

Sorry...

3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    HOw about for 4 string sets?

4. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I got a Phantom bass recently and they come with their own brand of strings on them. He has them made overseas somewhere but I am not sure on the details. I am a TI fan but for a cheap set of strings these were really good. I would say easily as good as the Slinkies I use to play. He sells them for $45 shipped for a box of 6. I am fairly sure that if you ordered two or more boxes him he would drop the price a bit. It would probably bring you in at just under $7 a set. You are already getting strings at that price but I thought I would let you know since I really thought these strings were pretty good for being so cheap. I would think he could sell them for twice as much if he bothered to promote them but since he is not specifically in the string business he doesn't do so.

5. Hartke. The 4 string set is decent, the 5 string set has an awful B, so don't bother with that particular one.

6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I get Labella Slappers in DC for $12 a set and they are great.