Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapest way to drive a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Nov 27, 2002.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I was wondering what tricks folks have discovered for driving a power amp. My bass has 3-band active EQ which is more than I need. I hardly ever change amp EQ and I use no effects; I just need signal gain to push a power amp. (I have a line-out from a combo but don't really want to pack it around if a pedal can do the job.)

What are the cheapest/simplest solutions out there for a no-frills pre-amp?

I have heard it suggested that a Sansamp doesn't always make folks happy, but it's not clear if thats a signal quality or strength issue.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I would say a Deux Cheveux, but in thinking about it, a Yugo would probably be cheaper!:D

4. I vote for use of a friends car, and stiff them on the gas.

5. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    Sansamp Bass Driver DI? But the output voltage might be a little low. Also MXR makes a micro amp, one knob that increases the signal strength/volume.

6. There are two Yamaha PB-1 bas preamps on ebay right now. You can find them for around $100 used and they can't be beat!

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I second the Yamaha PB-1.

8. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    And I just bought a Yamaha PB-1 off e-bay for $91 .

My QSC-RMX 1450 is on the way via UPS.

It's gonna be a LOW New Year!

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you're inclined for a DIY project, Walter Harley has posted a schematic of his preamp on his site Http://www.cafewalter.com Click on the link for audio projects. Walter designed the preamp to address the very same situation that you're facing...your bass's eq is adequate and you just want to drive a power amp. His schematic also includes a turner output and a mild distortion circuit...but no eq or fx loops.

FWIW, Bass Northwest sells his headphone amp...

As an alternative, have you tried an Ebtech level shifter (or what ever it's called). It takes an instrument level signal and steps up the voltage to that of a line level device. It's passive (i.e. there must be a transformer inside) but IIRC it goes from -10 dBV to +4 dBu.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I second two of the motions above:

- SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    - K&K preamp (I use a K&K Pure Preamp which has bass/mid/high eq - $82!)
    for my EUB, but it should work fine with electric
    Buy it from Bob Gollihur (www.urbbob.com)!