1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheapest way to ship an 810?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Visirale, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm looking to sell my 810, and the freight estimates are crazy. 250 bucks. I was wondering, how do people usually ship these. On ebay, the auctions for 810s usually have about 100 dollar shipping. Did I miss some memo? Do you all know of a cheaper way to ship the fridge?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Where did you get an estimate from? Was it at the Post Office, UPS, or FedEx? Or was it a place like the UPS Store, which charges extra for "boxing" fee?

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    It was online freight estimator. I'm talking like semi-truck freight companies. The website gets a few quotes and picks out the average figure.

I was under the impression that fed-ex, UPS, and the like didn't even bother with packages that heavy.

4. Does have something to do with packaging prices? Usually, if you box it yourself, it comes out a lot cheaper.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Perhaps check with an actual freight courier. Where's it going? Is the destination a business with a loading dock, or what? These all affect prices.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    how far do you have to ship it?

might be worth driving to wherever it is?

(post 5000) :D

7. UPS limits are 150 lbs.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The best way to ship one is to buy and sell locally. ;)

9. USPS won't take it either - too large.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've used www.forwardair.com to ship an 8x10 and a couple Acoustic folded horn cabinets.

The catch is that you need to be near one of their terminals and so does the buyer. You drop it off at a Forward Air terminal, they pick it up at their end.

I always built a crate for the cabinet, I don't know if they'll take boxed items, per se.

In 2002, it cost $45 to ship a crated Ampeg 8x10 from Chicago to San Francisco and it took about 3 days...I could hardly believe it!!!

It looks like you're half-way there...

Name: FORWARD AIR, INC
    Address: 502 SUNPORT LANE
    SUITE 100
    ORLANDO , FL 32809

Phone: 407-857-9212
    Fax: 407-857-9926

I've believe that Greyhound will haul these too...but I don't know for sure.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread (well, not really;)), but I'm curious about this too.

Just wondering if there are any other methods that haven't been mentioned yet or that I haven't thought of.

12. Yeah man... do the "local sale" only on that monster.. One other thought has just come to me: Pull all the drivers out, ship them seperately perhaps? That may or may not work for you.. :smug:

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I know some people have used Greyhound to ship cabinets...not sure of their size limits though. http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

14. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've used greyhound as a shipping method before. Way cheaper. Shipped big 170lbs crates last year from an auto shop using em, So I'd imagine an 810 wouldn't be too much too ask

15. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I bought a gas generator for my home on ebay. it came on a pallette and weighed a ton. the sender used freight. i picked it up at the local freight terminal. it wasn't an unreasonable amount of money iirc.