Cheapest Way to Ship my Bass FROM the UK?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Aug 5, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I need some advice. I just bought a bass in the UK and had it shipped to a buddy in London. I am trying to figure out the least costly was to have it shipped to me in NYC. Does anyone have any suggestions? I checked the website for Royal Mail but it's rubbish, as the English say.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    A boat and a paddle. :D
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Right. Let me revise and say cheapest and most reliable.
    Thanks for the freebie bump Geddy...
  4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    if it is a bolt on, unbolt it, make a nice compact package. that will save a bunch.
  5. DHL which is cheaper than Fed Ex, though some prefer Fed Ex. I shipped a bass to Europe earlier this year, and I want to say the price difference was something like :Fed 275-290 ish vs DHL which was around $225/230. Also, the declared value or in England VAT tax may come into play. The buyer in Europe asked me to declare the value of the bass at $300, as I think that was the cut off to avoid the customs charges on his end, so check it out for England, and it could save you some major cash. Or, you could just go on holiday and bring your bass back with you, as I was lucky enough to when I got my Wal bass. Good luck.
  6. Send it up to me and ill take care of it free of charge :D
  7. If you bought the bass new, call your retailer up and ask about getting a VAT refund form too - new stuff being shipped out of the EU is not liable to VAT or something like that.