Cheapo Basses you hate to admit you LIKE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scooby D, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Scooby D

Scooby D

Oct 3, 2000
    Hi, Scooby here. Has this happened to you? You buy a crappy backup bass just so you can abuse it on stage( you know, throw it in the air,drag it on the floor, put your drinks on it!)You figure it will look cool and most people won't know the difference between an expensive bass and a cheap one anyways. I bought a Rogue LX200 with that in mind but I'm really starting to like it. The playability and tone of it is better than I thought it would be.I set it up a little bit when I first got it but I've played a helluva lot worse. Don't get me wrong, the next Rogue might be total garbage but for now I think I'll be nice to it.I wonder if any of you have a cheapo you secretly like? See Ya!!!
  2. My first bass guitar, a Dano is something that I love, even though it's not high quality or anything. Most people hate em but I actually like the tone, doesnt compare to my Fender P though ;)
  3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I bought an old scuffed up Washburn bass...just to have around as an extra bass. But after putting on new strings and setting it is now my favorite bass for playing blues. It sounds just like a vintage P bass....:)
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I bought a cheesy Hondo P-Bass copy because the guy wouldn't sell his little Peavey Micro-Bass amp by itself. It sounded pretty nasty, had this lame-ass plywood body that weighed a ton, but had a nice big ol' baseball bat neck like I love. I wired the pickup directly to the output jack, bypassing the crappy control pots, and lo and behold, the tone came ALIVE!! Right now, I am converting it to fretless, (scrapped off the butt-ugly headstock logo!), and I think that it's gonna turn out to be a player. To think, I was going to trash it when I first got it...
  5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I bought a very poor condition Martin Stinger for $50 on ebay. It was just going to be used for parts, but I decided to paint it and modify the hell out of it, and now it looks much better and sounds pretty good. After replacing the nut and lowering the bridge, it is pretty playable. Here is a pic of it (it's the one on the right):

6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I have a 1988 Yamaha RBX 200 bass I bought for $50 from aco worker. I knew I could turn around and sell the thing for 150 easy. I started to play with,lowered the action and actually kinda like it. It sounds better than any P Bass I've ever heard...
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Hmmmm....does anyone else see a "P-bass" pattern here? :)
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive got an old Iabnez P-Bass...MY first bass that just plays incredibly. Superlow action with no buzz, and a usable slap tone! Weird, huh? Its got a lot of things added to it (Gotoh tuners, BadAss bridge, etc) but im going to add some EMGs to it (switch out the P, and then also add a J), and put a Status neck on it...killer! Its no Modulus, but its a pretty good bass, even though im not a P guy.

Hehe, you seem to be right Deynn!
  9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Danos and DeArmond Pilot basses are my guilty pleasure. The Danos sound cool and the DeArmonds have so many high end, cool features for the money. The only Dano I'd ever buy, though, would be the Bari/6 doubleneck at cost (like $175).
    Fender Std Jazz Fretless are also a great buy and sound great.

But I'd never drool over any of these.
  10. I've got a Squier Bronco. I don't gig with it. I keep it on a stand at home for practice, noodling, and working out various things that run through my mind. The tone is not that good, but, what can you expect for a cheap guitar pup. However, the short scale makes my practice time a lot easier to handle as I have a problem with arthritis in my hands and wrists. Once I have things worked out, it's no problem to transfer it over to my P or J basses. Yes, I really like it for what I use it for.

11. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    My first bass was a harmony i got from fingerhut for like $350. it sounded bad and the kneck had to be really tweeked we also rewired it as it looked like it had little telephone wires in it now it has the biggest bottem end of any of my basses. I would not give it up for any thing. thanks Joe R.
  12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Welcome to TalkBass, Joe R....glad to have you on board AND posting...:)
    By the way...was that a Harmony "P bass"?...:)
  13. I just bought a new Fender Mexican Std Jazz Bass for $300 and it is so solid and sounds so good. The color (Midnight Blue) grabbed me but as soon as I played it, I fell in love. I'll probably buy another soon. I used to think if if didn't cost alot, it wasn't worth ****. I've owned $7-800 basses and I have to say I perfer my new J-bass. I just put a Fender vintage pearl pick guard on it and it looks killer!!
  14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Got a couple. First is a Washburn XS-2, which is kind of 24-fret P-bass copy. Plywood body, decent fretwork and replacement pickup of unknown origin. Plays pretty well, and is miles ahead of a new XB-100. The neck is thin and right around "B" neck dimensions. It feels small to me because I usually play a C-necked P.

I also have an Orlando P-bass copy. Louisville Slugger neck, but not dimensioned like a Fender. Kinda weird. Nice natural ash body. Frets were reeeeeealy bad, so I'm currently de-fretting it. I needed a fretless anyway :D . I re-wired it, as it was wired with solid, not stranded, wire. Kinda chintzy. Sounds pretty good, though.

The Washburn is definitely "giggable," and the Orlando will be if I do a good job on it ;) , and replace the tuning machines.
  15. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    Just wanted to let you know that the Harmony bass is a p-bass body no pickguard P&J pickups. I string it heavy 55-110 Get that haevy bottom end. Thanks
  16. There have been a few of this type for me.

Kramer Focus 7000 - Loved the extended neck, active electronics, and totally cool rear pickup.

Hohner Jazz basses - These aren't your typical "low-end" variety but they don't sell new for what a Fender would. There's one on ebay now that I would give my eyeteeth for - maple fretboard, dark stain body with rear routing. They apparently are very high quality without the price.

Rogue - these have some of the finest quilted tops of any basses out there.

Carlo Robelli - I've only seen one of these and it was a maple/mahogany neck through but it was cheeeeep! Everything looked high end on it though.
  17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I have a Hohner Jazz fretless bass...and I will definitely
    affirm the quality of these basses. It is by far superior to the MIM Fenders and perhaps even a lot of the MIA series as well.
    They seem to be a very well kept secret...and also...a bit harder to find. But then...people want a "Fender"...NOT a "Hohner"...:)
  18. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a old 82 Squier p bass I thik I paid 100 bucks for it back in 86. It was a killer bass I just sold it to my drummer a couple of months ago so he can doodle with it.
  19. I have a Tiesco that I bought for $35. It's a piece of crap, but it's got this really cool, dark sound. I put some Thomastik Flatwounds on it that enhance the dark sound. I could take the pickup out of this thing and use it for a boat anchor (although it probably won't be neccessary).

I also have an Ibanez 5 string I bought about 8 years ago for about $400 that I hated until I put Bartolini electronics in it (the same electronics that is in a Lakland) and pickups. I leveled the frets and tweeked the neck, and this thing is bitchin' now!
  20. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i played a friends peavey fretless a few times and it was decent. i really like fender jazz basses, anything better than a squier and i dig it.

the peavey was a P :)