Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapo MM copies.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrelwood, Mar 26, 2005.

1. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    I love a MM style bass. I have noticed that deadly cheap MM copies are not that bad at all. I'd like to know if I have missed some copies. Please fill in! 5-stringers preferred.

OLP
    Eko
    Aslin-Dane (not available in Finland)
    J&D (another name in US)
    Cort (GB74, really good!)

I quickly tried a used Samick with the modern headstock (?!), and it was amazing! If it would've been a 5-stringer, I'd have bought it right away, it was really cheap!

If anyone comes up with a 5-string J-bass that has a narrower string spacing at nut, I'd like to hear about those also.

-Aki.

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Dillon
    [​IMG]

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hmmm - I was looking into these as well.

I would get an OLP (wanna try 5 string too) but I hate the shape of the PG - prefer the original oval shaped ones.

What are the best ones (in your guys' opinions) - no mean to hijack the thread though

4. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I've wondered about those. Are they any good?

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Samick.

[​IMG]

I had a 4 string for a while. It was decent.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Not bad, actually. I just finished playing it and lost an hour. This one has a Bart replacement. Feels good, but a little heavy. Slaps well.

7. sevenfingerdhob

sevenfingerdhob

Nov 16, 2004
  8. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU

How about Polish Flame basses(made by Mayones)? You can order them directly. All their MM copies have 3 band EQ's, even cheap ones.

http://www.shop.mayones.com/seria.html?seria=Seria CS&menu=1

Good luck!

9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Why is it that unlike many Jazz and Precision copies that rival and often surpass the originals, ALL MusicMan copies are low-budget (or budget-conserving), weak imitations?

10. I am in the process of buying an OLP MM3 with a Status graphite neck :) It sounds killer, then for christmas I am going to get the seymour duncan system for it :D

11. sabb0

sabb0

Feb 24, 2002
    australia
  12. Nice grain on your MM3 there..

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Most MM fans think there's not much to improve in MM basses, that could be a reason.

14. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    24 frets wouldn't hurt... :oops:P

Samick seems to be out of production. Too bad, since the one I tried was noticeably nicer than an OLP. The very fancy looking Dillion and plain Jay Turser are not available in Finland, but the Mayones Flame CS-5 seems comparable. Although, wouldn't like to buy one without testing first.

Anyone compared any two or more of these?

-Aki.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For 24 frets, get a Bongo. One should also mention SUBs even though they are more than double the price of an OLP.

16. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    I'm buying a cheapo Stingray5 for two reasons:
    1) A luthier I started making a semihollow-24fret-35"-MM/J-Stingray5 with, got a long time disease, and I want a bass in that style as soon as possible.
    2) With a cheapo I can easily test what pickup positions, string spacings and even neck width work best for me, so that when I find a new luthier, I know more precisely what I want for the REAL bass.

Therefore a cheap solution is what I need right now. I wish I'd find a used Samick 5-string in Europe. I do find it appealing to get a Cort (or other) J5 and install the MM-pickup afterwards, but it seems that the MM copies rock more than the J's.

-Aki.

17. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    only good reviews on Dillion's on Harmony central..
    I own a Dillion acoustic/electric , and it is some very good quality stuff. Compares to high end Takamine acoustics

18. mrelwood

mrelwood

Dec 15, 2004
    Finland
    Man the string spacing on this Dillion VMB-500 is narrow! I doesn't even seem to get narrower to the nut! Look how barely it lines up with the pickup poles. If that is a regular MM sized pickup, these strings are CLOSE! Then again, they seem to be that way in OLPs as well.

[​IMG]

-Aki.

19. I know you guys are interested in 5 stringers, but I am selling a 4 string Dillion. It's the blue color with the white pick guard. Respond or PM me if you want.

20. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Dillion VMB-500 (5 string version) is 5 strings on a 4 string neck. The width at the heel is 2.5" which is the same as a fenderish 4 stringer. I owned one briefly...string spacing was an issue.