Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cheapo nylon strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mikjans, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
  2. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    The rockabilly guys call them "weed whackers". They use different gauges of string trimmer line. I cant imagine much tone, but I guess they're easy to slap.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I see 'em all the time in Hawaiian bands. Just buy 'em at Ace Hardware. They go thunk, thunk. Very little discernible pitch center. Sound great in a "roots music" situation.

If you wanted to go a little more deluxe, you could try something like the La Bella 7710. Those aren't too shabby on the right bass.

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    After all the hype these were receiving at rab.com, I had to give them a go -- could a $10 set of strings really rival gut?

After trying them, the answer - in my mind - is no. I tried Magnum Gatorline (which is essentially nylon with a Kevlar core -- same as Jack Lynch strings). Yes, the tension was low and they were very easy to slap, but the tone makes Supernils sound like the holy grail. Yeah, they nailed the dark, no-sustain thing, but the actual tone was very poor. "Rubber bands" came to mind.

I tried them on an Engelhardt and my Shen SB100. The Shens seem to prefer a little more tension, and the Magnum E might as well had not been on the bass. NO SOUND. They worked a little better on the Engel, but again, the tone left quite a bit to be desired.

For guys always playing amped, you can get away with them. Seems that most of the folks using these aren't too concerned with exceptionally clear, uncolored sound - they utilize EQ to help eek more tone out of these.

You may find the 7710s to be acceptable, but keep in mind that they're still steel strings with a smooth nylon wrap. Other options would include Eurosonics, Innovation Rockabillys or plain gut. Supernils are also low-tension, but have round nylon and silver windings which might bother your hands. While the Jack Lynch strings are cheap (and buying the trimmer line yourself is even cheaper), I really don't think you'll be satisfied with the tone or volume.

5. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I put up an audio sample of these on rockabillybass so I might as well post it here as well. This was recorded on my anonymous german carved bass through a mic, right into the computer.

http://members.cox.net/kevinleepate1/weedwacker.mp3

I agree with Brent pretty much, rubberband like, very flat, dull tone, alright for slapping but not much else. My curiosity got the best of me as well. Some guys doing strictly rockabilly are really digging them though.

Kevinlee

6. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Trimmer wire - that explains why they come in colors such as green, red, white and blue!