cheapo power supplies

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zombietag, Nov 15, 2016.

1. zombietag

zombietag

Nov 15, 2016
    I'm starting to build a small pedal board. I usually only use my sansamp programmable driver (battery powered) because i get such a wide variety of tones, but now I'm thinking about an octave pedal and maybe a fuzz pedal at some point, plus a tuner.

I have a guitar friend who swears by isolated power supplies because of how quiet they are, but he's also playing a strat through a bogner, which is much louder than my p-bass through my ampeg any day of the week.

So my question is, I've found a number of cheapo, off-brand power supplies on amazon by companies like Coween and Mosky. They're less than $35 but not isolated and straight from china, but they still get decent reviews. If I only have 2 or 3 pedals and a tuner, am I really going to hear a difference between using one of these cheap power supplies instead of say, a t-rex junior?

And I know, 1spot. But I want a cleaner look on my pedal board.

CJM37 likes this.
  2. CJM37

CJM37

Nov 8, 2016
    Right now I only have 3 effects pedals and a tuner so I use 1Spot. I make it look cleaner zip tying the chords to the bottom of the pedal board and then having a thin extension chords that runs out of the back of the board to the outlet. As long as they are underneath, they are out of the way and are not visible, and if you put the zip ties in between the pedals you'll barely notice them as well.

TuneIn likes this.
  3. zombietag

zombietag

Nov 15, 2016
    Do you think using one of these power supplies is basically the same as a 1spot?

4. CJM37

CJM37

Nov 8, 2016
    Honestly, Zombietag, I have no clue. I haven't heard of the others. As I expand my pedal board, I plan on getting a voodoo power supply. I chose one spot for now because it was fairly cheap, and my Uncle and cousin who co-run a studio said it was what I should get for now.

5. Perrygoround

Perrygoround

Jun 27, 2016
    I used a Joyo Power Supply for the last couple of years. It worked fine, even when I plugged 9 pedals to it.
    Lately (last month or so), the connection between the Adaptor and the Brick itself is starting failing. At every rehearsal it takes me several tries until the thing goes on. Once is on, is not failing, but I think is time to find a new one.
    I want reduce the volume occuped by the power supply, so I am thinking in the Mooer micro. Does anyone have experience with it? They claim the outputs are isolated, but some reports say they are not.

6. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    [​IMG]

7. zombietag

zombietag

Nov 15, 2016
    okay, the iso-brick costs more than a t-rex junior, so not really helpful haha

this coween power supply is literally $20 right now (on sale). anyone tried one like that?

in terms of "isolated", this coween one says "Isolated outputs mean that should any short circuits arise, the other outputs will will continue to function." so it's not isolated power supplies like a fuel tank or iso-brick, but just set up as a fail safe i guess.

8. Russell Jones

Russell Jones

Nov 14, 2016
    +1 for the Joyo.

I currently use it to power a preamp / di pedal, a chorus pedal, a fuzz box, an od pedal, and a tuner. It has no problems powering them. It does have some low level hum, but it's not too bad.

My plan is to use it until I have extra cash to throw at a high dollar power supply. I've been using it for 6 months and I like it.

9. My pedaltrain mini is powered by a one spot. I plug it into my Furman power conditioner and have yet to have any issues. Here's the board. Seems like people who do have issues are using a lot of digital pedals , plugging into bad power sources, or pushing the one spot to its limits draw wise. This board runs at around 1/4th of what they say the one spot can power.
    IMG_1614.JPG