1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cheapo practice amp that actually has BASS?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, May 6, 2006.

1. I live in a walk-up apartment and seem to always be jamming around town with various people. Needless to say, my 65 lb Yorkie is wearing on me!

I would like to get a small practise amp that is reasonably priced. It doesn't have to be overly loud (often I play with acoustic guitars and soft-handed drummers with brushes/rods, never a PA in sight)....the thing is I have tried a few amps and they have about as much BASS as a tweeter!! What's the point, you end up in the same frequency range as the guitars and get lost in the mix!!.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try the 50 watt Yorkie-the XM50C. It's 30 lbs., sounds good and will play a lot louder than you'd expect. It has a direct out and with acoustic instruments you could do gigs.

I have one for home practice and teaching. I like it.

3. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    Ashdown 180W

4. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the amp you are asking for is the GK MB150. light, loud, and a very handy size. show me an as capable amp that goes in a shoulder bag.

i am in the same situation as you, and the GK is awesome for that.

if you find some cheap am head, you could also buy the GK MB extension cab, which weighs next to nothing.

5. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    yeah that microbass snowdan is talking about is probably your best choice.:smug:

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yeah, except "cheapo" doesn't describe the price.

7. Workingmans 10 or 12?

8. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006

that is somewhat true...:crying:

well imho usually the speaker is the limiting factor. so i suspect buying a used cheapo am with a 12" or 10", and putting a 40-50 bucks eminence in will improve tone quite a bit.

but if he has 300 (or less?) for a WM 10, that is the far better option.

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    SWR LA12

10. Roland Cube 30

11. I too am watching this thread, as I am in nearly the *EXACT* same position.

12. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I like my Peavey Basic 112.

60 Watts, but it runs about 200 new...

13. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Hartke Kickback 12 (HA1200) should still be in the running. Depth of bass is excellent and overall palette is versitile. Cheep=$400?

14. I played bass through the time when the Peavey name only meant that that it was rock-solid reliable, and it was cheap. Most of the Peavey stuff sounded like garbage. I assume that this has changed?

15. Funny that you would mention that: I have a retailer that has one around here for $215 out the door. Has anyone else used these? It's been my impression that these were more "cheap" than "inexpensive".

16. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    fender bassman 60

17. That's what I use for gigs :p, but it's a very nice amp.

But for practice I would recommend the Kustom KBA16, list price is about 90 €. It's 16 W, but has a 10" Speaker, so it's pretty loud.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I don't know what the definition of cheapie is, but ...

A new Bassman 150 will probably have all the bass you want.

It's capable of some Fat tone without distorting. I have actually successfully used Just a Bassman 150 at some small gigs recently.

19. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    The little orange combos are quite good for about $300.

20. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Or look into the Fender Rumble series. They're very inexpensive.