1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheating on Your Bass? (long)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sevenyearsdown, Sep 30, 2008.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    So I've recently acquired an 06' HW-1 Jazz with Dimarzio Ultra J PUP's. I put a good set of flats on, set it up, and swapped the cheap white guard for a nice traditional tort from Warmoth...and now I'm falling in love with it.

Problem is, my MIA P has been my "baby" for lack of a better term for a while now. It has been the bass that I gigged with, and always took to try-outs and such.

Now I find myself wanting to play the Jazz all the time, and was even thinking to myself at practice last night how I wish I was playing the Jazz on more than a few songs. I spent what I considered a lot of money for the brand new P bass a few years ago, and I feel guilty when I leave it in the case for another. It's like I'm cheating on my old P with the sexy new J.

I feel like I have to many options now.:scowl:

2. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I can relate to what you're feeling. But, dude, they're basses, not people. Cheat all you want. Its fun!

3. You're probably still in the honeymoon stage. Before long, you'll play both.

4. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I have one bass... I am married to it...

Until a better model comes along... LOL

Enjoy them for all they are worth.

5. our relationships with our basses is polygamous, don't forget that. It's OK to intimate with all of them. It's NOT OK to forget one of them. If you don't like one of your basses, better to sell it, so other bassis can "have her".
    :D

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I am a long time Rickenbacker player ... for many years my main bass was a 1969 4001. Then I got into 5 string Rickenbackers. Then I got into converting 4 string Rics into 5 string Rics. Then I got into building my own 5 string basses. Then I got into active electronics.

So I went from being a 4 string only passive only Rickenbacker only bass player to where now my favorite bass is a frankensteined 5 string jazz with sd pickups and a j-retro preamp.

I own about a dozen basses at any given time with all of my buying and selling and building ... my favorite changes from time to time.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    you need to figure out a way to get them both together and have a 3-some :ninja::)

8. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    If it feels like cheating it is cheating. Go back to your first bass with flowers & chocolate & beg forgiveness.

9. dukaruk

dukaruk

Mar 12, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    haha. i've been feeling the same thing lately. I'm playing my acoustic guitar for an upcoming wedding and my bass practice has significantly decreased. I walk by it and feel bad... lol.

10. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I understand your feelings - I too have been cheating on my P-Bass, but I get er out and massage her and polish er up I have taken the strings off cos I only play with her once in a while, but I still love Betsy...

11. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    BTW - every response here has me loling!

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    A Jazz and a Precision = too many options? To me it sounds more like you've got all the bases covered!

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I know what what you guys mean... I've been getting so tired of my wife that I went ou... oh, we're talking about basses? Carry on.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I do know what you're saying, Seven. I have a bunch of basses that I really like. I try to alternate and give each one some play time on a regular basis, but it's tough to do sometimes. That's the only downside to having multiple basses.

15. that's what you gotta love about a bass -- Your old bass doesn't care if you finger a new bass.

could you say that about your wife?

16. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Played a Peavey Patriot (and that's all) for over 20 years, and then bought a Squier VM Fretless, and played the Squier and nothing but for several months, to the exclusion of the Peavey. Then I discovered Talkbass. :) Since then, I have bought several MIA P basses, and finally settled on a new 2008 AS P bass last March. Since I bought the first P bass, I guess back around April or so of 2007, I've hardly touched the Squier at all, despite how much I loved it when I bought it. For a while I was taking both to gigs (summer 2007) but found that switching between sets was a PITA, and the P bass was doing it for me way more anyway, so I usually ended up just leaving the Squier on the stand. These days it just stays on the stand at home, it doesn't even leave the house, and there have been a few times when I had been planning to bring it to rehearsal, just to give it a run, and changed my mind at the last minute in favour of the P bass. I just love hearing it through my G-K and my Avatar, it seems to me that going to band practice without hearing it would just suck all the love out of band practice for me.

It's definitely not a honeymoon thing for me, it's a P bass thing. YMMV...

17. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Sorry, had to do it. :)

18. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I was a complete "gear whore" for years - I constantly buying and selling basses, amps and cabinets until I found stuff I really liked. Now I'm pretty much settled on what I got - Ampeg amp and cabs, a 4-string MM Stingray, 4-String Fender P-bass and a 5-string MM Bongo. I'm completely satisfied. They all get to come out and play sometimes.

19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Long live the harem.

20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I figured someone would. I actually spelled it that way first but thought, nah, it's just too easy and I changed it. ;)