1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Last night was T-Shirt Night. City Sports, Vernon CT.

The Boss doesn't have to wear one.
    citysports040917jane.

Harmonizing.
    citysports040917janeanddave.

Drummy, the one and only. His latest variation on bad behavior was texting his girlfriend (she's in Japan) between songs. "Drummy!" "Wha?" "We're waiting for your count!" "Oh! What's next?" (fx: rude noises from the rest of us) citysports040917drummy.

Guitar #1 "Dr. B"
    citysports040917bushong.

Guitar #1.1 Bobby "Blue" Stern
    citsports040917stern.

I do love my work.
    citysports040917dave.

Jane works the crowd, complete with photobomb.
    citysports040917janecrowd.

jjk2007, rtslinger, nixdad and 9 others like this.
  2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    IMG_2974. Coming up April 21st. We'll be the back up band for Barrence and Magic Dick in addition to our own set.

jjk2007, nixdad, Jimmy4string and 7 others like this.
  3. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Barrence! Yeah!

nixdad, Jamvan, Lex P. and 4 others like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    WOW! :woot:

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Woo hoo! Looks like a good night, lots of smiles and happiness. Thanks for the pix. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, Jamvan and Bunk McNulty like this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Rob,

Nice tunes! Your singer sound a bit like Mark Knopfler. Do you guys do any Dire Straits? Just curious.

I'm overjoyed to hear that young Edward is doing well and Ted is able to get out once in a while. God is good. :)

BassCliff

7. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    You know how it goes: "When the band has fun...everybody has fun!" We're a bunch of goofballs. Totally un-cool. It's, ah, one of our main selling points. As shown here. :D

redheadfreespirit040817.

nixdad, McG, Jamvan and 5 others like this.
  8. Thanks, Cliff yes it was wonderful to hear he is showing improvement since the last report wasn't so favorable.
    as for your request ha ha ha

McG, Jimmy4string, MCF and 3 others like this.
  9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Finally! Its been 6 months since our last gig, so I can't wait to get out and play again.

Our first gig of 2017 is scheduled for Saturday, May 6th from 6-8 pm. It's actually a Fundraiser at my High School alma mater, oddly enough a gig we picked up through Gigmasters (our 1st.) We'll be performing in the senior quad, which is actually quite a nice setting.

We recently trimmed the band to only 7 members a few months ago, so I'll now be playing bass 100% of the time (yay!) This is only a 90 minute gig, and is expected to be quite fun:

Damien%20Flier%20Final_zpsreu8228n.

I'll be glad to provide a link for discount tickets if anyone local is interested in attending ($10 in advance/$15 at the gate.) Come join us if you can!

I also bit the bullet and recently ordered a Hofner to add to my stable (can you really be in a Beatles band without one?) that will join my Ric 4003, and is expected to arrive today. I owned two 60's Hofners back in the 80's, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

One of the things we're gaining with only having 1 bassist is cutting down changes in between songs, so I only plan on using it when we're playing multiple sets over several hours. I probably won't use it for this first gig, but it should be fun.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Great to hear that you guys are out and playing again....

So wish that I was near enough to come and see the ....errrrm.....Fab 7?....:D

Have a great one! :thumbsup::)

Jamvan and nixdad like this.
  11. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Freddy! You deserve a trip to Cali to get out in the sunshine. Come on out!

Jamvan and Fat Freddy like this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I'd love to get down there one of these days.....

Been out in the sunshine all day up here though!.....Up in the 80's....:jawdrop:.....

Had a BBQ and....and.....EVERYTHING!....:hyper:

nixdad, BassCliff and Jamvan like this.
  13. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Congrats on gigging once again!! I was JUST going to ask... so, will you guys still call yourselves the Fab 8?? On the Hofner acquisition - congrats on that, as well. I'll be anxiously awaiting your report on it's adequacy to the task!!!

nixdad and Jamvan like this.
  14. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    It always seems like we're the busiest whenever my job gets crazy, which is helpful as the gigs help me cope with the work. This is Midnight Radio's first time back at The Westy after our initial trial run back in February as a Friday night fill-in band. As it's Easter weekend, I'm not sure what type of crowd to expect so we're just gonna go in and do what we do best; have fun. We do pride ourselves on not wearing any spandex whatsoever and we make it a point to thank our fans for not expecting it of us! :D

Not sure why I shared that but thought you should know...

Have a great and safe weekend of gigging everyone. If you don't play, go out and support!

15. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    There's no better living than taking that new bass on it's first gig! Congrats on the bass and trimming the fat so you can now focus on the best instrument in the band!

16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey Chris!

That's great! Both the gig and the new bass. I'd love to be there but the KRB is working that evening too. We'll be at the La Habra Citrus Fair. I'll have to catch you guys at another show. Please keep us informed. :)

BassCliff

mwbonsall and Jamvan like this.
  17. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. Jamvan,

But if you do ever wear spandex, please share some pictures! I'd love to see that! :D Break a leg! Blow the roof off the dump! :thumbsup: :roflmao:

I don't like wearing jeans that are too tight because I've got a body made for radio. :p

(51 pieces of what?)

BassCliff

18. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    That would be a sight to behold! I, too, have been blessed with the radio body.

51 pieces is a song we play by Cross Canadian Ragweed. It has a fun bass line and good dancing beat.

Bunk McNulty, MCF and McG like this.
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. Jamvan,

Man! That is some good roadhouse boogie! I really miss playing stuff like that. My old band used to play some grit. Here's one of the last gigs we did. I had just gotten my first smart phone so I hit the record button and put it on my music stand. Hence the lousy view. ;)

(Skip ahead to about 7:30 and hear my Delbert attempt.) :)

BassCliff

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    jjk2007, Bunk McNulty, MCF and 3 others like this.
  20. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Those are great! It was kinda nice listening while watching the clouds float by behind your head...at least until it got dark. I need to learn how to sing an entire song while playing. It's been quite an elusive technique.

BassCliff likes this.