1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Jamvan!

dbase likes this.
  2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey GP!
    Yep, after 5 years we're not going to change the name. Our fans will be the 8th member!
    More on the Hofner below...

Nope, still the Fab 8!

Thanks Jamvan. We actually let one of the guitar player/vocalists go. The other bass player will play guitar when necessary, but mostly play percussion (and sing.) Hofner update below...

Thanks Cliff! Enjoy your gig in La Habra. We'll actually be back in downtown Claremont on Friday, May 26th at Shelton Park where you saw us at last year.

Hofner update...
    I ordered a limited edition Gold Label (German) Hofner from Chicago Music Exchange last week (excellent experience, BTW.) I'd been contemplating on pulling the trigger on a Hofner for quite sometime, and really fell in love with the custom color models that Sweetwater offers, but they are very expensive. I can across a beautiful flat black model as offered by CME which was a fraction of the cost, and with my Wife's blessing, made my move.

The bass was packaged beautifully (inside & out,) probably the best packing job I've ever seen. It probably took 5-10 minutes just to get the case out of the box. Once out, this was the first vision:

IMG_1937_zpsxpq5ysue.

Here's the bass, still with "packaging dust":

IMG_1942_zpsyuvi24xc.

and the headstock...

IMG_1943_zpskysjrjxw.

Unfortunately, after the wanting and waiting, this bass is just not for me so I'll return it immediately. The bass definitely has a tone very different that my other basses (which is what I was expecting,) but it all came down to the feel.
    The neck is very round and somewhat deep (baseball bat-ish,) and the spacing is narrow all the way up the neck (something I must have forgotten.) There are no fret markers on the side of the neck either, which is something I require. It's very lightweight (which is great,) but is not an instrument you can "lean" into, and to me felt like I would have to handle with kid gloves. I take care of my gear, but changing my playing approach all around is not something I'm willing to do. Oh well.

I may keep my eyes open for a different violin bass, but I'm not in a rush. My Ric fills the bill quite nicely, and although not "Beatleish," I also have a semi-hollow Fender Starcaster which sounds killer and plays great if I choose to switch things up.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    That is a sweet looking bass, @nixdad. I completely get what you're saying though about needing to adapt too much to it. If you're thinking about the bass versus it being an extension of your creativity/musical ability, then it's just a barrier and needs to go. It's a bummer though. I hate when the ideal doesn't match the reality.

4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    That's beautiful! Sorry it didn't work out for you. One thought: first time I tried a Hofner, I liked the sound, but the feel put me off. It took a bit of time to adjust; now I prefer it to any other bass I've played. Also, rounds (or bright tapes) open up a new world of sounds on a Hofner.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Jimmy4string, Jamvan and nixdad like this.
  5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, it just didn't work out. This is the first time in decades that I purchased a bass without playing it first, so it is what it is. My son is 10x the bassist I'll ever be, and I know he was looking forward to performing with it on occasion as well (he had no problem with it,) but it was not in the cards.

Jamvan likes this.
  6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi fermata -
    Very pretty bass indeed! The flat black is very classy, but the feel is just something I'll never overcome. It's one thing if the bass was one of the inexpensive models, but at the price point, I need to love it to justify the expense. It also felt so light and fragile that I'd always be looking over my shoulder to check on it if it wasn't in my hands. Due to all of these factors, I could never really see myself fully enjoying it.

Jamvan and fermata like this.
  7. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Sorry to hear that the Hofner didn't work for you man.....

Just ordered another bass myself.....Hope it fits better than yours did.....

Jamvan and nixdad like this.
  8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I was on a roll to purchase a Hofner just because I wanted one but the wife put the kabosh on it ... I'm glad she did... I like the look of the bass but not the feel. My Ric is 9lbs and thats enough weight for me to carry.

nixdad and Jamvan like this.
  9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Forgot to check in ahead of time, but returned yesterday to a gig I've done a few times, warming up the audience for a national-circuit radio program.

wmstr.

As you can see, big room, pretty boomy. We brought a new monitor system this time, so we could hear one another better, and I popped my amp up on a chair and aimed it across the back of the band. But the real innovation this time was to stick some foam into my bridge. It made me dig in a little more on some tunes, and I missed the sustain I usually enjoy, but the clarity it gave my playing in this room was fantastic.

jjk2007, BassCliff, nixdad and 5 others like this.
  10. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Maybe give the Epiphone one a test run I played both and like the Epi better :)

11. Nixdad -the good news is -now you got extra gear bucks! ;)

I bought my Steve Harris P online and worried if i would like the fit and feel the whole time it was shipping.
    I loved it!! I dont play it much but i still love it :)

12. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Your Delbert is way cool!

BassCliff and Jamvan like this.
  13. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    C'mon, Freddy....what's in the queue?

Fat Freddy, Jimmy4string and Jamvan like this.
  14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey rtslinger-
    I just may do that. My buddy Dale from the band also has a Rogue, so I may give that a shot as well.

Thanks!

15. You got it I tried the Rogue as well and one other I think Johnson? I will look it up still liked the feel of the Epiphone btw it was a Johnson. I thought I was going to get a viola bass I was pretty ready for it and I had an EB-0 fall in my direction in GC and ended up pulling the trigger on it instead Oh and I was also looking at Rondo and the Douglas model as well

16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Are you in Guy's All-Star Shoe Band? I just figured since you're in Minnesota you could be talking about Prairie Home Companion. I love that show. Garrison is great. Anyway, I was just curious. That would be a very cool band to play with.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

17. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Hammersmith K4....Should have it at the end of June :thumbsup:

nixdad, Jamvan, dbase and 1 other person like this.
  18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    No pictures .. you never got it ;)

nixdad, Fat Freddy and Jamvan like this.
  19. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I'm back gigging with Third Degree this Saturday at a new venue for Third Degree. I've played there many times with another band in the past. Looking forward to it. Here is our poster.

3d%20shanty%20poster_zpsgsuuxrtd.

jjk2007, McG, BassCliff and 4 others like this.
  20. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    nixdad: Sorry the Hofner didn't work out, but you're smart not to *try* to make it work. I'd never seen a black one, though - all sunbursts is my total experience with them. My good buddy Frank had one in '66, and it sounded pretty good to me back then. But, as they say...that was then, this is now. A Rick it shall be!!

nixdad, Fat Freddy and Jamvan like this.