1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I promise pics of both the bass and the third cab when the bass arrives :):thumbsup:

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well gosh dang nabit my Country rock band is back on the road this Saturday. Big doins in the Magic city. Hope we blow the roof off.

3. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Diggin' the vintage Kong graphics, there, timber22!

Sore Thumb, dbase, BassCliff and 3 others like this.
  4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, GP. We're not a traditional Beatles tribute, so I didn't feel the need to go with a traditional sunburst model. I rather like quite a few of the custom color options which are available, and thought the flat black was quite handsome. This experience honestly made me appreciate my Ric that much more.

BTW, I recently switched out the stock white pickguard for a gold one, which I absolutely love:

Ric%20Pickguardian_zpsoigbudlf.

Just now finishing up a gold TRC as well to match!

5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    aaaand .... the food and chicks?

nixdad and Jamvan like this.
  6. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Can you send me a picture of your Ric sideways so I can see the gap between the strings and the fretboard... I think mine should be lower but not sure. Then I have to find someone who is qualified to work on Rics..

7. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Send it to Dave!

Actually, don't. He hates Rics.

nixdad likes this.
  8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll be glad to send a photo tonight.
    I noticed that my action was higher than I preferred after about a year, so I bought a 1/4" (?) nut driver to adjust the truss rods (of which both were loose.) I think each nut only required about half a turn (after digging out some wood under each nut so I could get the tool to fit.) If you were close by I'd be glad to help make the adjustments.

Rics are funny creatures though, which is why there are no shortage of posts when it comes to maintenance. If you're not comfortable doing the work, finding someone with that experience is definitely best.

9. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Depends on whether you've been good or not....

10. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    This is what I'm talking about... does this look like the correct string gap?
    20170413_115828.
    20170413_115828.

20170413_115650.

s0c9 and nixdad like this.
  11. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    If you can't fit a grilled cheese sandwich in the gap, then it's low enough for me! :thumbsup:

YMMV :D

dbase and Jimmy4string like this.
  12. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis

Oh, I wish! Alas, no, but I have sung on Prairie Home a few times, and it was an absolute ball each time. That band could play anything at sight and in any style--the band are all really fun and supportive, both musically and personally. It was a lot like playing with the Electric Mayhem, and of course you have to pinch yourself when you're participating in a script with that wonderful troop of radio actors.

Not sure how it is now with Thile in charge, but Garrison and the actors' scripts were constantly being refined with a staff of writers backstage throughout the rehearsal process and the show. They'd just walk on stage and hand you pages in the middle of a skit. You had to have a very flexible mindset in case timing changed--you might have to substitute a different number or leave off your last song.

Bunk McNulty, dbase, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  13. Love Prairie home C!

14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I think we're getting into the "Hardware, Setup, and Repair" territory, but have you seen this?

Joey's Rickenbacker Bass Guitar Maintenance, Setup and Wiring Diagrams

I guess this is a pretty good guideline for the care and feeding of your Ric. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

dbase, nixdad and Jamvan like this.
  15. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey dbase -

SHEEEEEESH! You're definitely working WAY too hard! Your action is very high, but should be able to be remedied easily by adjusting the neck (and maybe even saddle height at the bridge.) You have too much relief in the neck as is.

BTW - What type of strings do you use?

PM me if you need anything else.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Jamvan, dbase and Fat Freddy like this.
  16. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I use D'Adderio wound rounds.

17. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I dont even change the strings myself .. I have the local music store do them when I buy them ... Te last time I had them do a setup and asked to lower the action, two seeks latert he 'kid" told me that he was'nt finished yet as he had another Youtube video on how to do Ric setups to watch ... When he said that, I took the bass back.

BassCliff, McG, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  18. Hello people no gigs this weekend but I did up date the power supply on my Epiphone Embassy iv it has black light Leds helps bring out the neon strings. Anyway pix

Attached Files:

BassCliff, dbase, timber22 and 3 others like this.
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

I'm in New Orleans. We're doing a little sightseeing tonight before our gig tomorrow.

20170414_192922.

Full gig report looming. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Have a fun and safe time Cliff :thumbsup:

Make some memories to last a lifetime :cool:

A bunch of bass playin' lunkheads are there with you in spirit and looking forward to your report :)

dbase, nixdad, Jamvan and 2 others like this.