1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. For sure

2. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Midnight Radio had a pretty good night last night. Our second time at this venue in a town we've not been able to establish ourselves in...yet. While The Westy has seen her better days, it still draws a pretty good crowd and while we didn't pack the place, we did have about 50-75 people there all night...mostly listeners but some dancing and lots of drinkers too! So there was some craziness going on by the end of the night and more importantly, the bar made some good money last night. Outside of our drummer losing the plot several times, and adding several clams myself, we held our own and got great compliments after we were done. The Westy doesn't book any music acts in the Summer so we won't be back here until September, October, and December for a series of Fri/Sat weekend gigs. I like those.

I've basically given up on taking pictures. It's just too hard while playing.

Ok, here's one crappy one that I took trying to play a song with just hammer-ons...

FullSizeRender 170.

3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Ouch.. I cringed when I saw the action on those pics.. :crying:
    That will tear up your fingers and wrists during a gig - to say nothing of the stress on them !!

There are literally dozens of youtube vids out there on how to setup a guitar and bass.. from truss rod, to action, intonation and pup height.
    I've been doing it myself for longer than I care to remember. . It doesn't take long (or much skill) and needs some basic tools like truss rod wrench, feeler gauge, some philips screwdrivers and some allen wrenches. The whole thing can be done in 15 mins.. and the tools will cost you less than a local luthier does for a setup.

Then again, if you don't even change your own strings.. o_O

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yes, I would also recommended learning how to perform basic maintenance yourself. That way you know it's done right. It seems your local shop is not up to the task. It's not hard. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

s0c9, nixdad, Jamvan and 4 others like this.
  5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You don't know me too well ... whatever I touch turns to sh#t.... If it can be screwed up, I'm the one to do it and I do it well ;)

Jimmy4string, nixdad, Jamvan and 3 others like this.
  6. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    We must have been separated at birth!....:laugh:

Jimmy4string, nixdad, Jamvan and 2 others like this.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Sound check for our birthday party gig in New Orleans. "Gimme some kick drum!"

20170415_151041.

BassCliff

8. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    As much as I WANT to be Mr. Fix It I know I'm better off CALLING Mr. Fix It ;)

However I AM capable of adjusting the truss rod to set the string height. Just remember: Lefty loosey, righty tighty. Or is it the other way around? Oh crap, where's my luthier's phone number? :woot:

nixdad, dbase and Fat Freddy like this.
  9. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice set up. Look at that PA. Not lacking for subs. Plus I see you have a Hartke 410 (that'll make Mr. dbase happy ;)). Yep, you'll be heard. What head did they give you?

Jamvan, nixdad and dbase like this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant,

The head is a GK700RB. I think it's a pretty nice rig for a backline rental, sounds good. What is surprising is that this old warehouse doesn't sound like a warehouse. There is acousitc treatment in all the right places, high celinings with stuff in the rafters to break up the standing waves, etc. Our call time is in about an hour so I'd better get gussied up. I hope everyone else is enjoying their gigs this weekend too. Break a leg!

BassCliff

/\/\3phist0, Jamvan, nixdad and 5 others like this.
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. Jamvan,

I can't play and take pictures at the same time either. I have to choose my moments wisely. ;)

That looks like a fun place to make some noise. I'm glad they want you back. Your fame is growing! It's also good that folks were imbibing enough for the place to turn a profit. The mamagement always likes that. :)

Keep on rockin' buddy! Thanks for the picture. Feel free to take a picture of the front of the joint so we know what it looks like, and a picture of the stage once you get set up. I enjoy that kind of stuff. Thanks!

BassCliff

Jamvan, nixdad, McG and 1 other person like this.
  12. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    mmmmmmm Hartke 410....me like

13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Friday night, back at our home base, Da Bird. BL's first words when she arrived: "I just read that Good Friday night is the worst night for club business." So the bar was set low. We also started at 9 rather than the usual 9:30. Pretty sparse for the first hour, and then, finally, the troops arrived. Party Central for the next two hours. For which we are ever grateful. Slim pickings on the photo front...

janemikedavedabird041417.

Our soundman, Bill, takes a turn at the skins.
    billdabird041417.

And blurry me, out on the floor during LaGrange.
    davedabird041417.

Waiting for a visual extravaganza from BassCliff on New Orleans...

14. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Our drummer hung back after tear-down and the bartenders told him they each (3) made $250 in tips on the night. One till alone had over $900 so there was some imbibing going on!

That was our expectation going in as well but we were also pleasantly surprised at the turnout. It helped that the Minnesota Wild was playing before we went on. Even though they lost, they had plenty of people out when we started. Adding a couple hockey lyrics to some choice songs out of the gate got them engaged to hang out with us for the night.

I just wonder what it would be like to be in a dance band...

15. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Here's an update on my on-going quest for a lead singer to front the band.. Let's recap: When I joined from a CL add for older bass player in September, Rob was the singer at my audition, then at the next practice, Rob was replaced with Scott, then after 1 gig, Scott quit and was replaced with Ed who was fired after 2 practices. Then came Dom, who played drums better than singing.. he didn't make the cut. Then there was Freddie.. nope. Then another Ed who didn't show up for the audition. Getting disappointing yet? I found an older 60's singer who tried out but didn't have the range anymore so he was canned. Then came Al, who played guitar and sang great but he wanted to do his one man band sitting on a stool at a bar outside on the deck stuff and not our music. He lasted a month or two and then we decided to fire him because we have two big gigs coming up in May and June and wanted to do our material not his. We decided that we were going to try to do the gigs ourselves without a lead Yuk!. How many times can we play Pipeline and Walk Don't Run. I managed to get a singer who would be willing to fill in but not join the band but he also had a gig of his own the same time as ours. Then a girl answered our ad but backed out at the last minute.. Found Don on Bandmix who was good but didn't play our 60/70's music. He didn't stay. Now we have another guy from CL who is retired (ok), Is our age (ok), lives close by (ok), doesn't play a guitar (ok) but does newer material (80/90's) (not ok), Hasn't sang in a band for 15 years but we decided to compromise and give him a go with some of his material. We audition him this Tuesday ... film at 11.

16. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I was going to say that you should be more selective as to who you audition and give a green light to, but you never know , so I understand. I will mention that if someone doesn't like your style, don't waste your time. No show, no calls ? You know right away, they're irresponsible and don't count.

nixdad and Jamvan like this.
  17. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Not holding my breath for a successful outcome.....

Fingers crossed though :thumbsup:

Jamvan, nixdad and growlypants like this.
  18. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow, quite a story, dbase. Spinal Tap's got nuthin' on you!

Keep your spirits high and good luck. I'm sure someone will come along who will work out.

Jimmy4string, Jamvan and Fat Freddy like this.
  19. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    *sigh*

nixdad, Jamvan, dbase and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    This stinks but keep the faith. The band I joined had a similar story with bass players, cycling through around 10 of them in six years until I came along 2 years ago and stabilized the line-up. You're better off getting that person with common desires and goals as the potential for drama becomes greater for every one of this items on the list they don't check off. Hopefully this guy works out and grows to love the style you're playing and the band throws him several bones in the set to satiate his 80's/90's love. Good luck!

nixdad and dbase like this.