1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Swift Justice is off until Aug 24th and 8/31 we're back at the Ranch House (twice in a month!).
    We got some news late last week that our drummer (whose been with us about a year) would be departing due to an overburdening of "other commitments".
    He's a great guy and will be doing the 8/24 gig with us as a farewell event, and then a "sub" (Deryl Dodd's drummer who has played with us a number of times in the past 5 yrs) will play all his open dates with us thru end of the year.
    On the upside, looking forward to playing with Andrew again - REALLY GOOD drummer.
    On the downside, I guess we're going to be going back to doing auditions are trying to find a drummer who is looking for a home, and we're going to miss Ed!
    Will keep y'all posted!

2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for sharing, Ron!

Cool! Thanks, MCF!

MCF - What an incredible compliment. Thank you so much!

MCF, McG, Jamvan and 4 others like this.
  3. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Last night at The Pub in South Windsor CT. Once in a while, I'm actually able to sort of step outside myself and realize that I'm Having A Moment. That's what this was like. Completely packed house, everybody dancing from the first song, and no matter how we screwed up (there were a few whoppers, including the singer and guitarist playing in Eb while the bass player soldiered on in E, which was the correct key, by the way...) we could do no wrong. Pictures:

Just getting rolling.
    081019 Pub band.

Dr B and me out on the dance floor.
    081019 Pub Dr B D2.

Drummy is now into rubber chickens too. He prefers the drumsticks. They squeak, and everything!
    081019 Pub drummy drumsticks.

Nonstop dancing. For me, this is the best possible outcome.
    081019 Puub crowd1.

Seriously, you have a night like this, and even though you've been bouncing up and down for three and a half hours, nothing hurts. This is an issue when you live long enough to become a geezer. :D

...and this just in from our favorite photographer:
    Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 12.43.55 PM.

The Lava Lamp is in the mail, Peter!:roflmao:

And here's our endorsement shot (featuring our ex-guitarist, Solar Bob)
    redhead honey endorsement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    MCF, Jimmy4string, Inky13 and 13 others like this.
  4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent, Bunk. It's so cool to see that you guys have such a loyal audience and that you consistently have fun.!

MCF, Jamvan, dbase and 4 others like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yeah! Sweet! :D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Jamvan, dbase, Sore Thumb and 2 others like this.
  6. Not sure about that amp in particular but I'm very happy with my TC electronic amp.

Jamvan, rtslinger and nixdad like this.
  7. thanks that's my girl :) Say hello to my little friend
    upload_2019-8-12_7-18-33.

nixdad, MCF, Jimmy4string and 7 others like this.
  8. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Hello little friend.....:)

nixdad, MCF, Jamvan and 2 others like this.
  9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Hello to my little friend ;)

nixdad, MCF, rtslinger and 2 others like this.
  10. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Arf Arf... (yeah, I speak dog :))

11. That's a great picture! Especially the puppy's expression.

nixdad, MCF and rtslinger like this.
  12. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    We played a biker party at a private campground on Saturday. I thought it might be a s**t show since beer was free with a $25 cover + dinner charge. Turns out these folks can hold their liquor, there were no fights or other shenanigans. There were lots of tents, people could sleep it off overnight before driving home.
    IMG_20190812_135749.

And our singer demonstrates that face singers make when they have to carry gear.

IMG_20190812_135948.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    dbase, Inky13, jjk2007 and 9 others like this.
  13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

"Singer face", HA! :D That sounds like a pretty cool party in a shady joint where you can have some fun. I used to play in biker beer bars eons ago (when I was actually underage) and never had any trouble. Good gig. :)

BassCliff

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    dbase, Bunk McNulty, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  14. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    BAE65484-9570-4764-A4CD-1708EAD4ABAB. Woodlawn Park, Portland OR, Cool Horns of Soul, outdoors. I arrived last, setup on the far side of the picnic table that was the staging area/case storage on a concrete pad adjacent to the drummer. Not ideal but okay with plenty of monitors so I could hear just fine.
    About 300 people when I arrived. I jumped on a plate of BBQ for a buck and sat down on the picnic table next to my Ashdown 410. Great party atmosphere and quite surprisingly ‘People of Color’ made up 25-30% of audience, which is substantial in 97% white Portland. Quick trip to see Herb with Trevor the drummer and I was ready. Given my spot off stage, one of the singers introduced me as ‘in timeout, for obvious reasons’ and the crowd chuckled.

From the sound check to our last song, everyone in earshot was dancing, swaying or bobbing their heads to the beats as we played a solid set of RnB from the 70’s with a few current tunes. Even old ladies stood up from their walkers to shake a bit as their grandkids somersaulted in the grass.

As we were packing up folks came by to congratulate the band and to relate stories about their experiences. One senior woman said she fell in love with the wrong man dancing to Let’s Stay Together. It was that sort of gig, just great.

Bridgeport Mall, Idle Poets. 3rd year playing this in this August heater. Fortunately not too hot this year.

5 piece band arrived in 4 cars within minutes of one another, 45 minutes before downbeat. We made short work unloading and transporting gear to stage like an experienced road band does. We were up and ready 20 minutes later allowing time for a little bull session behind the portable stage in the shade.

‘Sexy Dave’ on keyboards was a little drunk as he is on most gigs. He’s a hardworking blues player in Portland and we’re lucky to have him with all the baggage. We’ve been playing the same show for three months and he still misses the second endings or codas. I think he could be better off the juice but he is a talented player and relies on instinct.

The usual casual listeners wander by and linger for a song or two. A few old guys stake out tables with clear views of their targeted players. There were a few guitar players eyeing Lance ‘Too Tall’ on 6 string and I had a white haired old guy who kept moving closer and closer to my side of the stage watching my hands, occasionally frowning, more often smiling.

Good gig, like a solid 8, In, Setup, Perform and Out in a couple of three hours. Nothing like working with a group of pros without much stake in the band except for the shared standard of flawless execution. The front man, Craig Marquardo, calls the tunes, books the gigs, pays us and the rest is the band’s job of showing up ready to play. We get off in a couple of ways: funking up Harry Connick and Jaimie Cullum; and the solos where we are finally unbound and play out for 16 bars or so.

This will be over in the next month and the band will fade over the fall and go dormant for the winter.
    Left to right: Sexy Dave Fleishner kb; Tom Andes drums; Too Tall Lance Vallis guitar; Craig Marquardo vox; Richard ‘The Low Life’ Armida Bass.
    1B4BD5A4-5685-4F28-9467-66047EE5349B.

dbase, Inky13, Jimmy4string and 12 others like this.
  15. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    When required to setup away from the rest of the band, for whatever reason, I just claim that as my personal kingdom.
    Thus I am king of the "keyboard" or "bass player" annex. gui****s know not to invade my kingdom or they get stabbed with steely knives.

Jimmy4string, jjk2007, McG and 7 others like this.
  16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You guys sound like a well-oiled machine. Make sure the machinery doesn't get rusted up over the winter. ;) Thanks for sharing your gig. Good stuff.

BassCliff

17. Did they take the picnic table off the stage at some point? It looks like it's in a totally bad spot if that's the stage.

18. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Hello from Romeo and Benvolio aka Benny!
    31DEF397-6FD1-4306-95C6-0B932FCB480E.

nixdad, dbase, Fat Freddy and 4 others like this.
  19. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    From the ‘front’ view I was behind the guitar, aligned with keyboard and drums. It wasn’t bad and the monitors were well placed so I could hear and I had plenty of space

20. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Another weekend on the St Lawrence river coming up ..........

8 18 2019 dog .

8 16 209  foxys. 8 17 2019 riveredge.

Bunk McNulty, nixdad, MCF and 9 others like this.