1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. BWHA HA HA HA
    Bad Husbands club's flyers always give me a laugh! That dog at the front is fantastic!

Bunk McNulty, nixdad, wmhill and 2 others like this.
  2. So we just added two more shows to the month of Sept, now we have 5 and one is a Wedding for two of our fans :)

Bunk McNulty, jjk2007, nixdad and 7 others like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I sure do dig these posters too. Very nice work, eye-catchingly quirky.

I'm sure you've told us before, but what is the difference between the "Club" and the "Club Light"? Is is more acoustic, sans drummer perhaps? Thanks.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad and wmhill like this.
  4. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hittin' up a good ol' fashioned honkytonk in beautiful downtown Minneapolis on Friday. There have only been a couple shootings outside the bar the past few weeks so I'm feeling pretty good about my odds. They take pretty good care of us and it has a nice built-in crowd. Should be fun!

The deets:

Break a leg this weekend if'n yer playin'!

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Jamie,

Yikes!?!? Only two shootings? Well, I guess if they feed the band free beer it's worth the risk. ;) Be sure to wear your Kevlar underpants. :D

BassCliff

6. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Remember to duck!.....:woot:

7. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yeah. The particular location was a dance club before the city shut it down due to repeated shootings and such. They thought bringing in a country honkytonk would help improve things. Yeah, uhm, not quite yet.

8. Instead of Wild Bill's Saloon at first glance I thought it said "Bill's Wild Salmon." Must be lunch time!

9. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Woodstock Weekend is coming - biggest weekend for this band so far. Rock star life, can’t complain.

Friday night - The Rialto theatre in Tucson
    Saturday night - The Van Buren theatre in Phoenix
    Sunday night - Concert in the park in Beaumont, CA (will still feel mostly like AZ)

52D784E7-FF41-474D-A4FA-525E29E8DF9F.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:23 PM
  10. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    The "light" version is a stripped-down 3piece version- Bass, guitar (acoustic & electric) and drums (cajone & a couple of timbales) and we use just a Bose L1. We obviously work much cheaper in this configuration. The Bad Husbands Club stuff is a full 5pc band (or sometimes more depending on the venue), with a full big old PA system, lights and such. It opens us up for better versatility and marketability.
    And thanks for the love on the flyers- they are a lot of fun.

Bunk McNulty, jjk2007, nixdad and 7 others like this.
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Very good, as I suspected. Arnie does the same thing depending on the venue, budget, client's needs, etc. Arnie does singles and duos but normally the band will vary in size between four pieces for the dive bar gigs to eight pieces for the bigger shows. Like you say, "versatility and marketability". :)

BassCliff

Bunk McNulty, MCF, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  12. @wmhill has a good working gimmick. i am assuming they work good and often.
    You get a idea out of the box and it seems to work well. I remember way back in the day "The Spazmatics" had a similiar deal and later became franchised across the nation with their nerdy band idea.
    @BassCliff just curious -do you know how long it took for Arnie to get his "Country Club" together?
    (another great idea)

Bunk McNulty, MCF, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi James,

It's still coming together. Five or six years ago Arnie was a sideman in a band that blew up when the lead singer/BL had his wife and both girlfriends show up at the club. It was pretty ugly. Arnie kept most of the band, added a female singer, and kept playing gigs as The Arnie Newman Band. A couple of years ago he started using the "Country Club" moniker for the high end events. Arnie is actually trying to morph his band into a full blown entertainment event company. We've played a couple of gigs where Arnie has provided the band, the stage, lights, PA, caterer, mechanical bull, line dance instructor, photo booth, etc, all you need for a corporate event or private party. The bass player usually doubles as the stage builder and light hanger. ;)

BassCliff

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    Bunk McNulty, MCF, dbase and 9 others like this.
  14. Ouch!
    I was playing a gig once where during a break the guitarist was chatting up a pretty girl at the bar, when his G/F came out of the ladies room to 'surprise' him.... I think she was the one who got surprised.... she slapped him in the face, said a few colorful words and walked out.
    Guitarist just looked at me and said "oh well I guess that was never meant to be...." and we finished the gig
    2 weeks later he turned up to the gig with a 'new' G/F :bassist:

Bunk McNulty, MCF, dbase and 4 others like this.
  15. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Tomorrow night.......gonna be a warm one!

[​IMG]

16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Great looking poster ;)

Sore Thumb, Inky13, jjk2007 and 2 others like this.
  17. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Matches my bass straps...:thumbsup:....

DSCF0403.

DSCF0385.

18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    And you play the Bongos too? I'm duly impressed ;)

Sore Thumb, Fat Freddy and Jamvan like this.
  19. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Gotta be honest.........No, I don't play the bongo's......They, and the bag with maraca's, shakers etc. are just there for people to bang about on if the urge takes them....:)

Bunk McNulty, Supadope, McG and 4 others like this.
  20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, this has been a busy few days! I was called last night to sit in on as host of an open mic last night. We were supposed to be 8-11, but it went until 12:30. Got extra pay which was a surprise. However, my day job, I leave my house for my 1 hour commute at 6am. Yesterday I was up from 6am to 1:30am, up this morning at 6am! Last night the guitar player asked if I wanted to sit in on his county club gig from 8:30pm to 12am tonight, so I will be pulling another 20 hour day today, then tomorrow I have 2 gigs, Lake Geneva, WI from 3pm to 6pm and Downtown Kenosha 8pm to 11pm. For those who do not know SE WI, that is a roughly 1 hour drive! Should be fun!!