1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    :D

nixdad and BlueShox like this.
  2. Shots of the stage.
    The drive to the show was delayed, it’s Jersey people aren’t happy unless they are wrapping themselves around a guardrail.
    Anyway I got there 15 minutes later than I’d hope, the parking lot was already close to traffic and I had to get the police to open the road to the stage for me.
    The first band had already started. They sounded good so I hoped we could as well.

They finished their set 15 minutes early? So we had a little bit longer to set up :).

This was to be my first with the extra cabinet with the 1x12 I added to the 2x10 I normally run. I hooked up pretty quick turn the amp on and place just shook with low end :). We started the show on time and even though we checked and rechecked everything we still had issues, 1 monitor for the drummer never a plugged in? Switch on the left side Pa speaker was still on standby?
    Our side of the stage microphone no one plugged a cable into it??? You will see when I post the video later cableless microphone you get to look at through out the video. Oh yeah my singer for got his change of clothes and had to rock out his hot pink ( he said red) shorts hahaha.
    We still had a blast through it all and that is what counts.

I was using Dean Zone bass
    my Ultra bass 300 watt head and my Sans Amp Di set to slap :) And no I don’t slap the set just works great for outdoor gigs. Hope everyone had great gigs hit back later with today’s video RTS

Attached Files:

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Rob,

That looked like a pleasant day for a doughnut eating contest. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Tony In Philly, Jamvan, MCF and 2 others like this.
  4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Played at The Bridgeport Speedway Saturday... a strange gig, You start playing when the gates open and people pour in, then you stop when the race starts and everyone leaves for the grandstands. You sit around for an hour and a half, then at intermission, people return for a food break, you play a few songs. When the final race starts everyone returns to the stands.. at that point we pack up and leave. I played a total of 8 songs. We were merely background music to amuse the crowd. Should change our name to "The Muzak Band"
    20190824_190751.
    20190824_190817.
    20190824_190856.
    Can you believe that I was told to turn down because they couldn't hear at the front ticket office, and the guitar player told me to turn down also, The nerve. The Mesa WD800 kicks those Hartke 12's. It was punching.
    20190824_194059.
    20190824_194103.
    20190824_194105.

5. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    even Muzak musicians get paid.
    not saying I endorse it, but its pay.

McG, dbase, Tony In Philly and 5 others like this.
  6. Supadope

Supadope

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    I played an odd gig like that once. We were in the paddock at Churchill Downs. We had to stop when they brought the horses into the paddock, then we'd play a couple songs, and then have to stop again when the race started.

So, the whole day was; Play two, break. Play three, break. Repeat.

Bunk McNulty, McG, dbase and 4 others like this.
  7. FE72AAC9-2446-44F8-B51E-6B71F4080D4E. Here is my Rig :) my home made 1x12 has some battle scars but it still sounds great :)

Supadope, Bunk McNulty, McG and 7 others like this.
  8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bill -
    Been there, done that as well.
    In the early 80’s the country rock band I was in (with 3 of my bandmates from The Fab 8) was hired to play a 4th of July show before the Fireworks were set at the end of the evening. This was at a local football stadium for thousands of people. Whoever scheduled the show thought it would be clever to have us and the local Fire Department provide the entertainment. We’d play 2 songs, then break so the Fire Department could do some sort of drill, repeat.

Needless to say the audience was confused, and the FD portion was a train wreck. We ended up playing a total of 12 songs that night. What could have been a very cool show ended up being unsatisfying for everyone.

9. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Nice gig! You get to chow down, play a few songs and get home early.

10. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Not meant to put down you home brew cab at all.

But I like that Carvin. They made decent amps and cabs at a reasonable price. Wish they had found a way to stay in business. But it’s tough in California. At least the Kiessel kid still manages to make guitars and employ a few people.

11. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Love the sign on the chainlink fence....:D

[​IMG]

Bunk McNulty, Sore Thumb, McG and 8 others like this.
  12. 6D4B43D1-2601-45EB-A527-5DA4FAAE2E2B. 6D4B43D1-2601-45EB-A527-5DA4FAAE2E2B. Ok I painted the roughed up cabinet here is the after :)

Sore Thumb, Bunk McNulty, McG and 4 others like this.
  13. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Last night was one of those weddings where everyone was there for one reason; to have fun. I think we were more entertained by the attendees! The blessed event was held at a campground and we had drive up access to the facility. Which was nice as I wasn’t in the mood to hump gear after a three hour drive.

Here’s the outside of the facility.
    806C6EF7-F6EA-4182-AAB9-212271074AA3.

We set up on the stage behind the head table but we’d have no time for a sound check tonight as folks started arriving early for the dinner. Fortunately, one of our regular sound guys was working it so he just recalled our preset configuration and would only need some slight tweaking once we got going. Likewise, we had a cabin that we could hang out in until it was time to feed us.

A nice welcome gift!
    5B1480CF-CD1F-41B3-8AEF-CEBCB4E3EEB7.

And a little room to stretch out and enjoy the accoutrements.
    81E49E9B-B872-449A-A3F6-875C3FFF56DD.

By the time they called for us to eat, the food was being cleared away. Well, to be fair, the food was gone as they were clearing the serving tables. Fortunately Jake had brought along some frozen pizzas so back to the cabin we went. They had the fridge stocked with beverages so no one was complaining.

We worked out way back to the venue and waited to begin our first set. While we waited, it was apparent the folks in attendance were there to party!

Here we are, mugging for our Sip! Sip! Facebook group. L-r Brian (keys), Damien (drums), Ash (fiddle), and yours truly.
    65F84EA0-4853-406F-AEEF-B509169A0056.

Here’s my customary shot from the back row, early in the first set.
    FF3BDA17-9672-4DB0-BEC0-D9EA3E25BD7A.

And here’s Mikey strutting his stuff mid 2nd set. The place is rocking by this point. I stand behind Mikey and the gal in the little white dress took a real shining to him as the night went on!
    242D8CD0-EE14-4B99-9E26-A3BB3177E3CB.

And here he is shooting a man in Reno during Folsom Prison Blues.
    15E3F02D-29B5-4D14-A872-D7F8781E6A7F.

The father of the groom paid us to play for an extra half hour and they were STILL not ready to let us go. Here’s the outside of the venue just after we wrapped up.
    5879641F-B853-4C39-8EAA-8E63F471FEA4.

I did a quick load out and hit the road for the long trek home. We played loose and tight at the same time last night and it just felt good all the way through. The crowd was certainly making it easy on us though! Super fun night all around. Thanks for reading.

14. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    We played at one of our regular venues last night - Brittingham's in Lafayette Hills, PA. It was a beautiful night with the cooler (finally!) air drifting in from the back patio. Unfortunately, this being the weekend before Labor Day, the place never had more than about 25 or 30 people in it at any given time. Around here much of the town empties out and heads for the Jersey Shore or the Poconos during late August. Nevertheless they kept us playing until 12:30 AM.

Her are a few short excerpts, the first being "Everlong" by The Foo Fighters:

...and here is a quick clip from Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl":

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  15. donkeygrl

donkeygrl Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Well all my pics are before we started the show..lol...we played for a corporate picnic. The weather was perfect and it was nice to open up the PA outside :)
    A19D1545-7946-47AA-BE0E-B84BE18D2482. 76827FAC-BF22-4A07-8B02-94C801377987. 9B56DC53-6C72-4770-9BBF-DF8C0CD37409. 76426434-8E0D-4A24-B351-3DBC834582A4. 55E97CEB-6C4A-4F37-8541-EC9BF509C5C3.

16. donkeygrl

donkeygrl Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Indiana
    On my above post this was my bonus lol!!! They had left over burgers so they had me take those so in the freezer they went and then the umm most unique of all-a little girl who was rather fascinated with me and my glittery bass decided to give me a hand ...literally. I guess they were making wax casts in one of the booths at the picnic.
    89644AA9-42F9-4DBA-89BC-D21244E9A249. 4A471667-31EF-4EF6-8EF6-1202BAE00BF1.

17. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Sweet setup...

18. Your cable runs are all so neat. I'm envious. Our stage is always a mess. I guess once we land on a regular stage set up, we can make improvements. :D