1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    16 hours without power, but it's back now. Over half a million customers of the regions power companies were without power from windstorms last night knocking trees down over power lines. Many still without power.

And the river has crested and is dropping now.

The flooding from the rivers was moderate, at levels we are used to seeing. No dangers at our house, and likely little damage in the valley. Mainly the inconvenience of road closures.

2. I know it's not a bass nor is it about a gig but got this for my song writing :) got it with Tort cause I am still a bass player at heart :)
    upload_2021-1-14_8-30-58.png

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    It could be a six string bass with extra light gauge strings ... just sayin ;)

4. BassCliff likes this.
  5. Interesting that most bass players also delve into the guitar world.
    I love the blue on the Fender

MCF, Jamvan and rtslinger like this.
  6. I took up six string when I was writing original songs back in the mid 70's never ever played it live
    just a tool to write record and my music :) I found it easier to get across what you want from your guitar player if you show them on guitar. Not sure why that was though you would think that if I told you the key and I play the root on bass and say it is a 1 5 6 chord progression why did I need to explain the 5 is a 7th and the 6th is a minor maybe I expect too much ha ha ha.

Jimmy4string and Jamvan like this.
  7. I can play D, A, G, C, E, F chords on the guitar - does that make me a rock star??
    I can't play bar chords though!

Bunk McNulty, MCF, Sore Thumb and 4 others like this.
  8. @NZBassman the amount of gigs you get -you sir are already a rock star!
    :bassist::hyper:

9. So I covered this one than thought twice about it being a Christmas song, so I waited to post it later and now is later ha ha ha kind of a strange when you really listen to it but the music is fun to play so enjoy don't enjoy whatever works best for you :)
    and I played the Gibson Ripper

10. Ok the new six

Not great just having some fun

Bunk McNulty, MCF, Jamvan and 3 others like this.
  11. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    AS some may know.. I "used" to be a lead player until my last rock band split and the last lead singer (not the one in the mp3) convinced me to go to the dark side - C&W on BASS!
    No claims to being good.. but this was me on guitar back in 2007!
    Live club recording, with a little post processing.

Attached Files:

Sore Thumb, Jamvan, MCF and 7 others like this.
  12. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice job I must say. ;)

Jamvan, MCF, s0c9 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Here in the depths of January we look for ways to entertain ourselves. A couple years ago, my BL got into taking photos of us and writing captions. Today is the birthday of Solar Bob, one of Redhead's founding members (he has since moved on). I went searching through the band archive and found this, from a Halloween gig a few years ago:

stern, d2, bushong.jpg

Jamvan, delta7fred, McG and 4 others like this.
  14. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Many thanks... it wasn’t til I really started playing bass, not just fooling around on it, that I realized I should have started on bass. All those lost years...

in retrospect.. the distortion tone ain’t the greatest.. probably playing my old L6 Flextone III on that song!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Jamvan, McG and Jimmy4string like this.
  15. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Lets see. .. Was supposed to have our 1st practice after a 14 day quarantine because the lead guitar players son's girlfriend tested positive for Covid... So that all turned out well. Now our next 1st practice for the new year was Jan 8th... Lead singers customer at her job started freaking out about having to wear a mask in the store and started to spit and cough at everyone there... Now she was on the other side of the room but again another 14 day quarantine for the band. Now, our final 1st practice Jan 18th brushing off the dust as we worked on a new song and someone pulled the signal cable from the reorder accidently. Can't get a break. No recording = practice never happened ,,, waiting for next Mondays practice. <sigh> Oh, the coughing guy was arrested.

Sore Thumb, McG, ak56 and 6 others like this.
  16. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Nice! It's always so weird to switch over to guitar after playing bass exclusively for so long. It's like a little toy!

Two things:
    1. This is THE song. My brother taught me the bass line for this song when I was 12 and I've been hooked ever since. I thought the octave slide was the coolest thing ever!
    2. No offense to you but Gary Richrath, one of the most underrated Les Paul bonefides tone-efides, is rolling over in his grave listening to those single coils in place of his Les Paul! ;):):laugh: (I've argued he had the best Les Paul tone ever but the fact he played in REO Speedwagon has made his high praise a difficult proposition.)

Rebel Rocker, dbase and MCF like this.
  17. I agree and he was a great guitarist and Les Paul would have been nice if I had one :)
    Just so I can throw in a reason for getting strat is because I am working on bringing out some original stuff from my pass and my guitarist back in the day were using a Strat and Charvel/Jackson Spectrum both with single coils :)

Jamvan likes this.
  18. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd say that's a darn good excuse! Rock on!

Sore Thumb and rtslinger like this.
  19. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    WAIT!!! You have practice??!
    We had 13 gigs last year total.. and 1 scheduled for end of Jan. Haven't had a practice since early 2019!!!

McG, jjk2007 and Jimmy4string like this.
  20. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    ai practice.jpg

Sore Thumb, McG, s0c9 and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021