1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. We have practice Thursday night.... with regular drummer
    I was kind of hoping regular drummer would be unavailable and back up drummer no 2 could play instead
    it's not that I don't like regular drummer - he's a nice guy and plays ok
    but back up drummer no 2 just breezed through the new songs last week and has a better sounding kit (Roland electric with mesh pads) that regular drummers Yamaha electric kit
    oh well we'll see how it goes!

MCF, Sore Thumb, McG and 1 other person like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Steve! That's a lot more guitar than I ever played, good stuff! My guitar playing is pretty much limited to cowboy chords and accompanying myself when I try to sing. You're so cool. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

MCF, Sore Thumb, McG and 2 others like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Bill,

Oh boy. I tell you, this madness has to end before people go totally crazy. At least you got to make some noise recently, even if there were no witnesses. I'll take your word for it. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence

BassCliff

MCF, Sore Thumb, McG and 3 others like this.
  4. What is this word you speak of practice? I am unfamiliar with such a word. Please explain your earth word practice

MCF, s0c9, dbase and 2 others like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Matt,

I've never met a "regular drummer". :p

BassCliff

MCF, Sore Thumb, ak56 and 4 others like this.
  6. Do Cowboys play different chords to regular guitar players?? :bassist: (asking for a friend)

MCF, Sore Thumb, dbase and 2 others like this.
  7. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I've resorted to making crude picture videos of live board recordings in an attempt to get the feel of live music again (and I wasn't even IN the band for this one!). I just love this recording. You can hear some tasty bass playing as my predecessor was a talented cat fortunately (for me) with a bad attitude. Being a team player with ok chops has served me well for the past three years... ;) Check out the six-string slinging on this Brothers Osborne cover (I even attempted to time the picture changes in rhythm with the music)

MCF, Sore Thumb, McG and 5 others like this.
  8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Practice is a concept where like minded musicians gather together and make noise.

MCF, McG, Jamvan and 1 other person like this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Thanks Cliff.. you should recognize this little Jason Aldean excerpt.. recorded LIVE, back in 2009! Me.. on the only guitar in the mix!

Attached Files:

MCF, Jamvan and BassCliff like this.
  10. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    am I the only one missing @wintremute instant NAMM reports?

MCF, Sore Thumb, McG and 2 others like this.
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Jamie,

Yep, good work! That was fun.

BassCliff

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I guess Charles will be posting screen shots this year. ;)

BassCliff

MCF, McG, Jimmy4string and 3 others like this.
  13. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I miss it, too.

MCF, Sore Thumb, McG and 5 others like this.
  14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    That works to

MCF, Jamvan, Holdsg and 1 other person like this.
  15. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can’t keep up with @rtslinger.....but I got me a new bass today.

rh60Oct.jpg

In other news we have 5 gigs on the books starting in late February going into mid April. Fingers crossed!!

MCF, Sore Thumb, McG and 7 others like this.
  16. ha ha ha congrats on the bass and hopefully the gigs pan out for you. RTS

MCF, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  17. @jjk2007 That bass is glorious! I am looking forward to seeing it live!
    Late February should find some great weather here for your gigs. Where is the first one?
    Our band of misfits are in holding pattern with no practice or anything until the numbers go down or vaccine happens. Sigh.
    goodtimes.jpg

MCF, McG, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  18. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    The last rehearsal that we had was November 2019. It had been a lean year (and start of 2020) for gigs because of health issues with the guitarist and drummer.

We only had 3 gigs in 2020, before all this Covid craziness, and the chance of one in July which the drummer turned down because he thought that the guitarist wouldn't want to do it. The guitarist would have loved to but the drummer never bothered to check.

I phoned our guitarist the other day and found that we have a low key wedding reception booked for whenever it is safe to hold it (they got married in May 2020). He gave me 2 songs to learn so now there is something to work towards I have actually played a bass again.

MCF, McG, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  19. Ever had one of those rehearsals where everything is just 'average'?
    this was us last night.... we all made mistakes in the songs.... and couldn't decide on the ending to a couple of songs... things just didn't 'gel' last night
    we discussed the drummer issue.... regular drummer was at rehearsal and he doesn't mind if back up drummer 2 (who we rehearsed with last week) wants to play a few songs at the next gig.... but when we suggested that we set up back up drummer 2's kit for the gig (he has a much better kit) regular drummer said he'd prefer to use his own kit...... luckily they are both Electric kits, so it should be an easy swap

it just wasn't a great rehearsal really and I felt a little deflated on the way home.

to be honest back up drummer 2 is a much better drummer and picks things up much easily - and in a way I'd rather have him in the band than the regular drummer..... I think the others in the band feel the same way...

oh well we shall see how it goes... I'm the newest (and youngest) member of the band. so I'll let the others make the call if it needs to be made

MCF, Sore Thumb, dbase and 3 others like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021