1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Like @Jimmy4string said, mid 70’s today. Hard to believe a week ago there was 4-6” of snow/ice on the ground and we were having highs in the single digits.

kPEr0MW.jpg

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Rob,

The weather was so bad here last weekend I could barely climb up on the roof to fix my TV antenna.

upload_2021-2-22_22-25-20.png

Our last wind event turned the antenna and bent some aerials. I fixed it with Gorilla Tape, cleaned off the oxidation, and pointed it at the LA stations (290.21°).

upload_2021-2-22_22-30-35.png

I used the compass app on my phone.

upload_2021-2-22_22-31-41.png

My TV set looks brand new! The picture is noticeably brighter, sharper, and the colors much more vivid. Mrs. BassCliff says it hurts here eyes. :roflmao:

Don't hate me because my weather's beautiful. :p

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    How bored you must be thru this pandemic... "Lets see... what can I do today?, Yeah, that's the ticket, I think I'll climb up on the roof and polish my antenna" ;)

4. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Wow haven't seen an antenna in years :)

Sore Thumb, BassCliff and Jamvan like this.
  5. I haven't seen the antenna on my roof up close and personal since I bought my house back on 99 ha ha ha

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    McG, BassCliff and Jamvan like this.
  6. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    cliff likes old things, like all of youze

7. well it is still up there but it isn't hooked up to a dag thing ha ha ha
    upload_2021-2-23_12-7-18.png

McG, BassCliff, Jimmy4string and 2 others like this.
  8. Ok had rehearsal last night.... mainly to go over any songs we feel we didn't quite get right (stuffed up) at the gig on Feb 13. We also have 58 songs and only need about 45 for the next gig on March 19, so we had to decide what songs to 'lose' from the set list..... easier said than done.

We also had a couple of dummy run throughs of 'Everybody wants to rule to the world'
    it's in D so I down tuned my E string to D. Singer wasn't sure when to come in for some parts and drummer struggled to find the right tempo / beat - he said something about polyrhythms over a 6/8 time (not that it means anything to a bass player like me). I said it's a similar (if not the same) beat he uses for another song we play, but drummer was 'experimenting'....

I've found a couple of good drum covers on youtube.... would it be wrong to send them to him as a 'suggestion'?
    he might be grateful, but then he might take that as 'you're not playing the right beat so watch these clips to see how it's really played'....

we've also got 2 potential weddings booked for 2022... one of them is dependent on people from overseas coming... so if there's still covid restrictions on flight and travel in and out of NZ it may not go ahead

9. thanks - if we do learn it and play it at the next gig I'll see of Mrs Bassman can take some footage

10. @NZBassman That drummer suggestion is subjective to the person.
    I generally let them figure out most things as it totally out of my realm and I figure they can find Youtubes if needed.
    However, he may the type of mate that is like "Tops man you the cat's pajamas for giving me these"!! and just completley buy you a Brittany!

Tony In Philly, McG and Jamvan like this.
  11. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Our guitarist and I swap YT links on technique all the time but when we tried it with our drummer he was most put out that we should even think that what he was playing wasn't perfect (it was nowhere near correct). He was a pro drummer for years so what could 2 weekend warriors possibly know that he doesn't!

We found the best solution was to allow the offending song to quietly drop off the setlist especially if it was one he'd suggested.

McG, Jamvan and Jimmy4string like this.
  12. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    You need one of those "Drop D" tuners from Hipshot! (Although, to be honest, mine has yet to be tuned perfectly so both the E and the D are right on.)

Tony In Philly, McG and Jamvan like this.
  13. yes I believe there is a company in NZ that makes them or sells them in NZ - I did enquire a few years ago, but never bothered to follow through as at that time I only played 1 song in drop D tuning

14. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nick - just get a 5 string mate!

Matt

Sore Thumb, Jimmy4string and Jamvan like this.
  15. Ha ha yes..... I wonder what Mrs Bassman would say if I tell her I need to upgrade my bass?? Lol!
    I’m happy with 4 strings at the moment

16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I can solve that problem for you. just buy her a new Granite counter top for the kitchen... then it's your turn for something .. say a 5 string. She won't refuse ;)

17. LOL.... I could probably buy a half decent 5 string for $500 NZ.... not sure about the cost of a granite kitchen top though....

Bassed in NZ, Jamvan and Jimmy4string like this.
  18. I like my basses like my tennis shoes -4 strings!

Jamvan likes this.
  19. So we have been offered our first show of the year. It is the last place we played. We played the Charity Event on Sunday and the State shutdown everything on Monday.
    I am not having my vaccine till the Monday after the proposed show :( so I am on the fence about doing it.
    And I just found out my guitarist had to under go surgery on his hand, not sure what that is about, but at least we were offered the show which was nice :) I will keep you post on this recent development.
    "We now return to you your program which is currently in progress........ LUCY!
    tenor.gif

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    BassCliff, Inky13, Jamvan and 3 others like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021