1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Band Trivia 2011
    This was two firsts for us the one and only time we played this song ever not sure why it went over pretty well
    the second thing was. The bass I am rocking wasn't mine yet, I had the Craigslist seller bring it out to the show
    and I played it for the first set and paid him during our break he also became a fan of the band :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    MCF, Bunk McNulty, Sore Thumb and 4 others like this.
  2. Another blast from, the past one and only time
    2012 Whammer Jammer

MCF, Sore Thumb, McG and 2 others like this.
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    SOG-68.JPG

McG, Jamvan, Jimmy4string and 3 others like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Bill,

That's my favorite! :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

McG, Jamvan and Jimmy4string like this.
  5. Okay more oldies 2010 Xmas this is where we got the idea to light up the guitars :)

Tony In Philly and BassCliff like this.
  6. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    It's getting be around that time of year where "Celtic-style" music abounds so I decided to try my hand at recording myself on guitar playing some Irish harp music composed by Turlough O'Carolan. Also, maybe in a few months I'll be able to play some bass with the band again!

MCF, Sore Thumb, Renaissance and 10 others like this.
  7. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I enjoyed the version by Hindley street country club on YT.

Jamvan likes this.
  8. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice clock ;)

Jamvan and Tony In Philly like this.
  9. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    And the guitar playing....

McG, Jamvan, ak56 and 1 other person like this.
  10. yes - wife came across that version and it's quite good.... I sent it to the band and guitarist came back and said 'love the extended guitar solo'... I hope he doesn't get any ideas!

11. 2016 Jackson Brown :)

MCF, McG, BassCliff and 3 others like this.
  12. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hey Tony: AWESOME!!!

13. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Bass player in the back as always
    sog main pic.jpg

14. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I wouldn't want it any other way

Sore Thumb and Jamvan like this.
  15. Jamvan likes this.
  16. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Rationalising my bands this year - dropping most of the bar/pub work and got invited into a new project that's been picked up by arguably the premium booking agency in the country. Because most of the gigs will be corporate and weddings there's probably not a lot of scope for gig reports - so thought I'd share the demo videos here as it might be all I get to share!

Agency funded the recording and video production of 1 minute promos for two groups - a trio and a four piece, 5 songs each. Engineer and video crew at the studio were great to work with - all instruments recorded live, and vocals overdubbed - though we had to do vocals individually in home studios as we went into a covid lockdown that meant we couldn't go back into the studio!

Already done a first trio gig (wedding) through the agency a couple of weeks ago - and I guess they're looking to book us to recoup their investment in the promo stuff so that's good - got a few more gigs lined up. Here's a quick shot of the wedding setup:
    210220 C22 Wedding Stage.jpg
    Yes, we unapologetically use tracks for keyboard parts, which I know will be abhorrent to some, but finding a decent keyboard player who's got capacity is tough (which pains me to say as a part time keys player myself). And, more $$ for the bass player...

Pretty big sound in a small footprint, and because we're all direct to desk (HX Stomp for me, Helix for guitarist, Roland eDrums for drummer) sound is so easy to control (we're all IEM) - and I don't have to bring the PA (that high end HK Audio Elements system belonging to the guitarist pumps some serious SPL and expandable for the bigger gigs).

To the songs (~1min each), first with the 4pce:
    Don't Start Now (just because I love playing the bass line...)

And a bit of Tina Turner because the vocalist does an amazing job (and our harmonies I think are pretty good too)

And the trio, first up is Let's Dance, synth bassline courtesy of the Source Audio C4 (I spent ages programming that sound!) - tell me if you can hear where it didn't trigger quite right (like an octave below where it should've!) - and some lead vocals from the bass player:

And finally Footloose because we had a lot of fun recording this one (which hopefully shows) and it's a cracking Nathan East bassline!

In case you're interested, there's a few more videos at
    The Goods | Auckland Trio and
    Highrise | Auckland Covers Band

Just heard we're reducing our lockdown levels from Sunday so that means the wedding gig next weekend will be on! Bit of a road trip so I'll try and snap some shots if I get a chance.

Peace
    Matt

MCF, rtslinger, ak56 and 13 others like this.
  17. Good Stuff there Matt... those clips sound very polished indeed
    I'm not a dua lipa fan, but admire her for using a 'real' bass player in some of her recordings
    Corporates and weddings are the way to go... but it also means you have to dress up and look good - and that takes a bit of time for me LOL!

If covid levels drop to L1 I'm back at the Hub in Milford with Ran For Cover on 19 March and 9 April
    Hopefully we'll have Tears for fears sorted by then... bass part is done and dusted anway
    we've got a couple of weddings booked for 2022, so fingers crossed they go to plan

looking forward to hearing more clips

MCF, Inky13, McG and 4 others like this.
  18. Man that looks like it is going to be a ton of fun. The clips sound great! Nice playing sir. I am jealous as I can be. Good for you.

Sore Thumb, McG, Bassed in NZ and 2 others like this.
  19. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Bass players keeps his cool and exits stage left when the drummer and singer go off the deep end ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  20. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..

Great recording and bass work on the covers. Duly impressed indeed Matt, BTW after that performance, I'm selling all my gear and start driving for Uber ;)

Sore Thumb, Bassed in NZ and Holdsg like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021