"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    and most of Love Reign Over Me from Sunday

donkeygrl, nixdad, Sore Thumb and 8 others like this.
  2. Yeah - after 20+ years lugging around a separate amp head and 4x10 I bit the bullet and bought the Rumble.
    it's only 17kgs, packs a good punch and I don't have to rearrange the whole car and put the seats down to get it in... it's a win-win for me!

McG, rtslinger, Bunk McNulty and 3 others like this.
  3. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Calendar update. Fun fact: The illustration was the very first Redhead poster, back in the days when we still put up posters.
    redhead 2021 6 1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..

McG, Bunk McNulty and Jamvan like this.
  5. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Ha .. yeah, It's like "Sorry honey(wife), I cant take you to the gig with me tonight, I'm bringing two cabs and have to drop the seats.. No room for you, <Seinfield> ;)

Rebel Rocker, BassCliff, McG and 2 others like this.
  6. Hope everyone who had gigs rocked the house :)
    I did a bunch of 80's songs play along videos check them out if you get the chance ( and yes I wore the wig :) )

BassCliff, McG, Bunk McNulty and 2 others like this.
  7. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    My favorite part is there's only one where we play past midnight.:D

Sore Thumb, BassCliff, McG and 2 others like this.
  8. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Sunday church gig and it was a special occasion. One of the pastors celebrated his 50th birthday (ordain birthday). He was the original pastor of that church in the background. The bishop was there and conducted a small roast of the pastor. Both of them are good at telling humorous stories.

I brought out Phenyx Pro PTM-10 IEM wireless system, but the sound guys forgot to connect it to one of the Aux sends, or they ran out. I kept the left in-ears in as an ear plug to help with the drum volume. The Kustom stage monitors are old, and are not up to par with modern ones. Plus these were far away from me, but no problem. Mediocre bass players have to improvise.

They put the bass player in the back. You can see the very top of my bald head to the left of drummer David. In front of him is his daughter. To that left, and in the center of the picture is a very talented teenager. I expect to hear her voice on the radio, youtube, spotify, or whatever they use nowadays.

Food and cake is in the background up on the patio. So the image can be considered a food pic too. I stayed away from the calories as I need to slim down and lose some pandemic weight.

All in all, it was a great time. One of the best gigs with some pros I've done in a long time. The person out front is a touring musician. One of the guys in the back was a pro that played in symphonies. Another guy is a songwriter. The dude with the ovation played in bands on aircraft carriers back in the days. Since the Navy gave him a paycheck, I consider him a pro. Probably our best male singer. He's actually a baritone but he can sing high tenor easily.

The photo was taken by someone else during the very long soundcheck. If I find a video clip, I'll post it.

IMG_4454.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  9. That's part of the "new normal" that I think I can get behind!

Sore Thumb, McG, Jamvan and 1 other person like this.
  10. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
  11. Play along :)
    this one has a great pocket

12. Very nice. Sitting on my front porch this morning, drinking some coffee and listening to a little Shayds of Grey.

BassCliff, rtslinger, jjk2007 and 3 others like this.
  13. had to learn an 'oddball' song for rehearsal last night 'This Masquerade' from The Carpenters
    Our next gig is 19 June and it's a school fundraiser we play every year and the theme this year is Masquerade - hence learning that song

I'm not really into that type of music, although Karen Carpenter does have an amazing voice, but it is actually a pretty groovy tune and I enjoy playing it.

We also had to learn Wagon wheel... but I've played it before in my old band... not a song I particularly like but every time I've played it the crowd seem to go wild.

dbase, Sore Thumb, BassCliff and 5 others like this.
  14. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Masquerade is just "Too Groovy" for me ... and Wagon Wheel is in the same box as Margaritaville.

Inky13, McG, Jamvan and 1 other person like this.
  15. I can't stand Wagon Wheel either and I don't know why all the young-ones seem to love it.... but you gotta play what the people want to hear and unfortunately they don't seem to want to hear Wrathchild by Iron Maiden :roflmao:

16. I used to like wagonwheel until i had to sing it over and over in my last band -now i hate it.
    Also, I hate dont stop believing until i am drunk in a bar and then miraculously it is the best song ever! HA HA
    @dbase really enjoyed the cheap sunglasses

dbase, rtslinger, McG and 2 others like this.
  17. TBPlayerOC

TBPlayerOC

Oct 17, 2013
    Orange, CA
    My U2 Tribute is finally getting some bookings after not being on a stage since September of 2019. We have our first gig this Sunday in Costa Mesa at The Tiki Bar. This should be an interesting gig as this will be our first live use of our new IEM system and going ampless. Hope to do a full gig report.
    Tiki Bar Flyer 6-6-21.png

Inky13, delta7fred, dbase and 8 others like this.
  18. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Due to all the rain coming through Central TX our gig tomorrow evening has been canceled. Have fun out there this weekend y’all!!

19. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I'm diggin' the light show, too.:D

dbase, rtslinger and Jamvan like this.
  20. Bunk McNulty

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    It ain't any different from "Play that funky music whiteboy." If it makes 'em dance, play the damn thing.:D

dbase, Sore Thumb, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021