"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Today has felt like a Thursday from the moment I opened my eyes. So to continue the illusion, I'm posting my check-in for the week. This is almost starting to feel routine!

A fun outdoor gig this coming Saturday opening for the vibrant, fun, and frisky Davina and the Vagabonds! This could be an interesting mix to take the country pop/rock of our band and blend with her zydeco rockabilly jazz stylings. She's a great and fun live show as evidenced by the fact tickets sold out incredibly fast (I'm pretty certain we had little influence on that...) so I can't wait until our generous 60 minute set is done to listen to hers. Mostly sunny with highs in the 80's playing on a barge on the water. Can't argue with that.

166383270_2847454022171045_2158173938019079963_n.jpg

Here's a short vid of her and her group from a few years back.

Break a leg this weekend.

2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    We booked another one yesterday. That'll be three gigs in eight weeks. Not as many as some but a positive sign for our future. :thumbsup:

She's great! I would be in a hurry to vacate the stage and take in her set. :) But don't be in so much of a hurry to not enjoy your set. ;)

3. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I was not aware that Tennessee was a rain forest.

22FE9BA5-F7D2-4059-A063-22B099250B97.jpeg

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
  5. So I dragged out my Fender Rumble 100 1$15. I actually gigged this combo from 2003 to 2005
    pa support of course, it is still a great sounding amp. I am a big fan of 15” speakers :).
    Great fun song we used to cover

6. This is of course the band

7. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    In two hours I'm going to drive two hours to play an 8-11 gig. Then, after the usual 1-hour load-out, I'll get home at 2 am. On Sunday, I'll drive an hour to play a 2-5:30 gig, get home about 7:30. I am reminded of an old joke:

"What's the difference between Country and Rock'n'Roll?

"Country is 5 guys driving 3 hours in a station wagon to make a gig that pays $150. Rock'n'Roll is what they do when they get there."

donkeygrl, BassCliff, jjk2007 and 8 others like this.
  8. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    It'll be worth it though....
    Heard a rumor.....:)

9. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    When in Asheville, you geek out on Moog stuff. When you are holdsg

FA237483-78AB-4347-A854-266C5E63228A.jpeg

donkeygrl, BassCliff, Inky13 and 8 others like this.
  10. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Beautiful day yesterday. Mid 80’s with a nice breeze off the lake. We played a quick 60 minute set and as we had about 10 minutes to tear down, I kept things to a minimum. A Volto powered tiny pedalboard, my bass, and a microphone. In and out in minutes and little chance for electrocution!
    63278E3F-D045-425B-AC88-F8E931EE8741.jpeg

My better half came out and caught a candid as I’d turned around to try and engage all the boats behind us. I’m not normally a cowboy hat wearer but my lawn mowing hat wasn’t gonna work to keep that pesky sun away.
    42301C4F-E770-4D18-82A5-F2DCD6C03C19.jpeg

Fun day all around. Can’t wait to do it again!

11. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    We had our first gig since last October this past Friday at Justin's Carriage House in Skippack, PA. We definitely had a fun time!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice to see you wailing on the bass Tony... I liked the number I think it was 'White Room" by Cream without the singing. Nice job.

Jamvan, McG and Tony In Philly like this.
  13. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hey, Tony! Congrats on the gig - you guys sounded excellent! (Now, is that bass natural or blue?;))

Sore Thumb, Jamvan and Tony In Philly like this.
  14. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    My band had it's first get together since NYE 2019, (We played a couple of gigs in early 2020 with a sub drummer because our regular one was having back surgery.) It felt so good to be back together again.

We were a bit rusty but not half as bad as any of us expected. Listening back to the recording I'm amazed how few mistakes there were. Even the drummers wife (we were rehearsing at his house) said she was surprised how good we sounded for not having played together for so long.

We've no definite gigs booked so the next rehearsal is scheduled for 3 weeks time.

donkeygrl, BassCliff, jjk2007 and 2 others like this.
  15. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Hey Dan - thanks! The bass is "Lake Placid Blue" and slightly beat up by the Custom Shop. :D

Bunk McNulty, Sore Thumb and Jamvan like this.
  16. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    So.....Dropped in on "Redhead" this afternoon.....

Sadly, due to my never ending, irritating, medical crap.....Had to leave at the first interval......

I can say this though.....Despite having to leave early, if you can't enjoy yourselves in the presence of these guys.....Then you're dead!....:dead:......:D.....

Sorry for stealing your job @Bunk McNulty......:whistle:.....

Love to all in the band....Great to meet you.....:thumbsup:....

You may not have seen the last of us......:hyper:

donkeygrl, BassCliff, jjk2007 and 5 others like this.
  17. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    When you first walked in and we were all saying "Hey, great shirt" and etc. I had no idea. Then when Jane (of course) wound up introducing you as my replacement...it was a great comedic moment. And such a great suprise. I mean, I'm looking at you and all I can think is "I can't believe he did this." And was accompanied by Mrs. Freddy, no less. Seriously, that was the coolest TB moment ever.

PS: I also really appreciate the comment. It's not that we're these terrific musicians, (well, we're pretty good) it's that we enjoy each other's company, rag on each other, etc., and people like that.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    donkeygrl, BassCliff, jjk2007 and 5 others like this.
  18. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    It was a joy man.....Watching Jane work with the kids on tambourine.....The laughter.....Priceless....:D

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021