Check it out! A 70's stingray!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Apr 22, 2002.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Well...I was in my local music store today, and while I was looking around, I spotted a gem!:D A well worn(nicely worn!) Music Man Stingray. I was in the market for a 4 string to use with my new Funk band, and I just couldn't resist! No....I have not bought it, but I might soon! I know the guys there pretty good, and they let me take it home for a couple weeks.

I would like to know more about it...The Serial # is
    B003153. It is a string through body. The body is a 3-piece ash and is very heavy 12lbs! All original, missing string mutes. The neck is nicely worn in, original frets though, and they're in great shape! Plays like a dream...better than my '64 Jazz did!
    The bass is very deep sounding, with a nice snap. It just kills my back! Check it out:
  2. cool! I love Stingrays! go for it!
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    If you contact Beth Bearden at Ernie Ball and give her the serial number of the bass, she can tell you the date it was manufactured.
    You can contact her at this email address;

Or if you prefer not to contact her, then slacken the strings off and loosen the bolts at the neck body joint. The date should be stamped on the butt of the neck.
    Good luck.
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Mike Burduck over at keeps a large data base on pre-EB Stingrays. He can give you advice on the value of this axe.
  5. If that sounds as sweet as it looks, wow! Twelve pounds is pretty killer, though...hope you've got a beastly strap. I think I'd go for it.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I just finished learning up everything I could find on the Stingray! I did not realize all of the improvements that Leo had done to this instrument. It is a Fender on Steroids! And it plays sooo nice!:D The bass sounds fantastic. It is incredibly versatile. I am going to have to get a value on it. I think they are asking a little too much.
    I did take the neck off, it reads March 17th 1977. :)
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I love Pre Ernie Stingray's!
    Looks almost like my 79!
  8. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    all i have to say on the matter is