Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check it out cats.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrettAM, Oct 12, 2002.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow..... very cool! but agreed, very pricey!

P@

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Crosses the line into "tacky", IMO.

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am not so sure about the pickup placement too. Is that where you want the MM-type PU?

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i was thinkin' the same thing...looks like a "knick-knack" bass to me... hee hee

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Doesn't do a thing for me.

Rob

6. I am not digging that thing. Way too many peices of wood, which means way too much glue. Seventeen ply neck? Eight ply body? That's not just crazy, that's stupid. And the pup placement looks kinda cheesy to me, too. I can't believe that someone actually payed 10 grand for that thing.:rolleyes:

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Looks like something that should be sitting in the window of some hokie native american tourist shop in Santa Fe. It's priced like it too.

brad cook

8. Wareyin

Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    Wow, I can't believe you guys. I guess if it doesn't look exactly like a Fender, it isn't good enough for you?
    I bet you'd find more than 8 ply bodies under the paintjobs of a lot more basses than you'd think, some even shaped like Fenders.
    Why are so many bass players so darn close-minded?

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It doesn't have to look or be built like a Fender for "us" to like it; people have their own tastes and should be allowed to without being called close-minded. I thin bass players are FAR more open-minded to innovations in their instruments than many other types of musicians. I myself am not a Fender fan, but I still that Warrior is pretty hideous. To me it's way too angular and visually imbalanced-it may play like a dream, but we're talking about appearances here, not sound. And a seventeen-peice neck seems like it goes beyond the point of added stability into the land of instability due to excessive laminates held together by glue. And most bass makers that take the effort to build an eight-piece body usually don't cover it up with a thick paintjob and hide the fact that they did so to begin with; well, unless it's plywood.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'm as open minded as they come. I've owned or tried every hi end bass you can think of and the bass mentioned here is still ugly. A great bass guitar is a precision instrument, more so than an electric guitar

Rob

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow, I think someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! Yes, I play a Fender and a Fender-style Yamaha, but no, I don't think that is the only acceptable body style. I also have an FBB that has a rather unique shape that I wouldn't try to describe, and a Hagstrom shaped closer to an SG than anything. There are plenty of members here who use basses with bodies quite different from the Fender-style. There are Ricks, Conklins, Zons, Foderas, and many others here that couldn't be more different from a Fender shape.

Oh, and I'm not at all attracted to that Warrior. I don't like thier shapes, and those knobs are pretty hideous.

12. Looks sorta like a "Mid-life crisis" bass.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, here's my Fender-clone:

[​IMG]

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm not sure what they were thinking with the whole teal knob/logo thing. I mean, c'mon... it's teal.

15. teal my bASS - thats friggin TURQUOISE!!!

( heap big native tie-in )

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the best part is how he bought it as a collectors item, with a retail value of $10k, and is trying to unload it now at 3.5k, and won't. i think warrior tries too hard to make their basses seem like more investment than instrument. all the warriors i've played have sucked hard.

oh well. just MHO.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I saw a warrior 4 go for $700 a few weeks ago.

Even if the price were right, that thing's just too fancy looking for me.

18. It's funny that you should say that. The father of a friend collects Gibson and PRS custom shop guitars as investments. (Brad knows the guy: Ira Schwartzstein.)

My friend is an excellent guitarist who know tone very well. He has gotten to play a number of his dad's $15,000 investment-grade guitars. His verdict on most is that they suck. All of the finish necessary to protect those tops and those inlays just kills tone, and since the top and the inlays are the guitars' raisons d'etres, the wood used for the back and neck doesn't "need" to be all that great.

The only reason these guitars exist in the first place is that they get bought up by Japanese investors who know they're a better asset than Japanese bonds or stocks.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Isn't the guy who's collected dozens of super-high-end basses (like the Fodera "Beast") Ira Strickstein? Strange his name would be so close to that of another guitar collector.

Then again I think this Ira sold off a bunch of his collection when times were tight a couple years ago:

http://www.amstadt.com/tblarchive/VOL2000/400-499/bl401.html#11