1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check it out guys!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ray Holt, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Hello all! For those of you who don't know (and everyone who forgot) I'm currently attending the Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery. All I can say is it is perfect. My first electric guitar (I'm a guitar player :bag: ) is in the spray booth (final 2 coats of lacquer tomorrow), my acoustic is coming right along and I've started on my second electric.

Now I just wanted to share this because I'm pretty happy about it... I don't know how many of you have built an acoustic, or done 3-piece binding. But I just took the binding tape off of my acoustic and I'm pretty happy with the result. Definitely could be better, and I'm looking forward to improving. It's really detail oriented, because those strips of maple purfling under the koa binding are .040", and they are mitered at (about) 45 degree angles at each corner of the wedge. And the maple purfling is shaved off of the bottom of the binding where the binding goes over the wedge so the binding sits flush on top of the wedge. Once again, I wish it was much better but I'm still pretty happy!!!

I'll include a couple of my two electrics just for fun :) I'm going to be building a 6-string bass for a professional friend soon, that will definitely be on here :) Take care all, thanks for looking! *and sorry for the crummy pic, my camera is ollllllld and there was no good light.*

[​IMG]

Electric number 2, double cutaway version
    [​IMG]

Electric number 1, fresh out of the spray booth.
    [​IMG]

I am in LOVE with this Koa top. Just can't beat it. Completely natural finish.
    [​IMG]

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Stunning! The Koa top really popped with the natural finish.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    ...zzz...

:bag:

lol, j/k. nice guit, tho i really want to see the bass six coming along a lot more. :d

4. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    That's coming along very nice. You should consider yourself lucky to be able to attend any time around a luthier. And proud of any work you perform. What I see of your work so far is right in line with some of the best. Good luck . . .

5. Those two body shapes really remind me of Godins, not saying that is a bad thing at all. Did you design them yourself?

lowsound

6. Yes I designed them completely myself, didn't copy any other templates or anything. The singlecut came first and I adapted it into a double cutaway.

7. I dig that singlecut more than a little.

8. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    +1

That is a badass guitar.

P.S. Is that a lotus on your shirt and hoodie, and if so, what are they for? That just caught my eye for some reason.

9. Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to doing a bass :)

I'm actually from New York, and for the past three years my job has been working at a cabins campground in the state park, and both the shirt and the hoodie are from that. The leaf is for the Palisades Interstate Park Commission. Go figure I'm wearing the shirt in one pic and the hoodie in the other!

10. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I see. I guess it caught my eye because the leaf design resembles a lotus design that I will be inlaying on the back of my current bass.

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Absolutely fantastic job!

12. looks nice

13. Great,
    An old acquaintance of mine is a teachers aid at your school. His name is Tom Garden. It would be great if you would say hi for me. From Spencer in Davenport, IA. Thanks!

14. Where IS Roberto-Venn? I thought it was in Chicago but there's a palm tree in the background on one pic and that ain't a native of Chicago I-don't-think.:eyebrow:

15. That koa top is a really beautiful piece. What finish do you have on it? Just straight lacquer?

16. Haha I've never seen a palm tree in Chicago either! The school is in Phoenix Arizona :)

Pin_head, yes that's just straight lacquer. I'm not a big fan of color on wood, and that Koa is just perfect natural. To me at least. It's all done now and curing, when I get back from Christmas it'll be time to put it together!!!

Oh and Fretlessspence, Tom Garden doesn't work at the school anymore. From what I've heard he just wasn't too happy with some of the other instructors. I think he's working at the Woodworker's Source around here now. I would say hi if I could!