Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check me out- could use some feedback

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jchikhale, Sep 24, 2004.

1. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    check out my band Interference. it is an eclectic mix of all the good stuff. great singing great guitar playing. me on bass. recordings are updated weekly as these are the working mixes. Let me know what you guys think. playing my streamer stage 2 5 string direct as well as my 78 jazz bass.
    mp3s at www.interferenceband.net

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sounds good man. Not particularly my style of music, but the recordings are clean and mixed pretty well. I think the bass could stand to come up a decibal or so though :smug: (seriously, they are a little treble heavy overall - as in the kick drum isnt bassy enough either, not just the bass a little low in the mix).

PS - I liked Soapbox Blues and Central Park the best of the 5.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hey, that's really some great stuff! I'm digging all of it. Great singing, great guitar playing, just as you said. "The Last Song" rambles on a little too long, though. I'm quite used to listening to mammoth pieces, 30 minutes and up, but I still felt this particular tune could have been shortened by about a minute or so and have benefit from it.

I think the bass playing is a little shy - to be completely honest, I find it kind of bland. There is a lot of "space" left over in the arrangements that you easily could occupy without being obtrusive. I think you need to leave the root note foundation WAY more often... add a few licks and a little "colour" here and there, arpeggiate over long chords, you know? The walking in "Locusts", and the stuff you do in "Central Park" is just what I'm getting at, more like that! You got the rhythm down, now a little more melody wouldn't hurt, would it? :)

The website: I'm not too fond of Flash - the fact that it's Flash-coded makes me unable to right-click and download the songs, a functionality which someone with a slow connection would appreciate a lot. And 320 kbps is kind of overkill - 192 or even 160 would have been well enough to make a compromise for the dial-up or slow broadband folks.

4. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks for the listens. i just checked it and for some reason those are the tracks with the scratch bass tracks played by someone else. damnit! i play waaay different than that. i better get those updated check back in a couple days. what part of teh Last Song could get cut?

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    OK, then I look forward to hearing YOU play! :)

As for "The Last Song": Firstly, I'm not saying anything "should" get cut out, it's not my song. But if it WAS my song, I'd cut the "bass solo" break in half. Yeah. Less bass. (Can I say that here? :ninja: ) But other than that, it's hard for me to pick out a certain part and say "I don't need that"... it's such a solid song, you know?

If it had been an album (EP) closer instead of the the FIRST song, it would have been OK in my book. But my idea of a good opener in pop/rock is a powerful and "to the point" song, no multiple choruses/solos/stufflikethat endlessly repeating at the end. It's kind of the warm-up track, catch my drift? You don't want to exhaust yourself warming up...

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Something you might look into:

http://www.xi-soft.com/download.htm

It allows you to save streaming files in their original form onto your hard drive.

7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool songs! I would have to say that your bio on your site does describe your songs pretty well. Catchy enough, for me at least. I'd like to see a show of yours sometime as I and my band are located in the L.A. area as well. I'll keep checking your bandsite for show dates. Best of luck!

(hehe, we played Rainbow Room earlier this year too...man, we were close to knocking each other out with our instruments half the time! That "stage" is weird!)

-T

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    The riff beginning at ~2:55 on the Last Song sounds familiar. Almost to the point where I'd say I've heard it before, but with different lyrics... :eyebrow:

9. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah-for that middle part- you should know the song the bassline is from. and you should also know the song the lyrics are from too. what do you think?