1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check me out- low E to high C

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Mar 22, 2006.

1. So, just for sh!ts and giggles, I re-strung my Fodera from the defacto standard BEADG to EADGC.
    And ya know what?!?! I kinda dig it.
    I toyed around a bit here and there with a 6 string, but never quite got used to the wider necks. So, I went ahead and re-strung my Garrison to get up higher.
    So far everything is happy in Mike world like this. I hava a gig on Friday, and if all goes well at rehersal tomorrow, I may leave it this way. (I play 90% of the gig on my 4 banger with a Hipshot D-Tuner anyway)
    We'll see!!

Anyone else here do this?? I kinda did a brief look-see (search) and didn't notice any threads about this tuning.

Heck, I guess to round it off, if I stay like this, would be to slap a D-Tuner on this thing as well.

Oh the fun abounds!!:hyper:

If I get a chance, I'll post up a few clips someplace.

2. Cool, Mike!

Now it's really a Garrison! ;)

Looking forward to hearing some clips. The clips from the Bowlus GTG that I heard were great! Great playing and tone.

-Bernie

3. Thanks Bernie!!

Yeah, this really pushed the Garrison into...well a Garrison!!!
    But mines a 35 scale not a 33 scale. And only 24 frets not the 26 like he has.

On my myspace site there is a clip of me just laying it down with the Garrison BEADG. It's camera audio mixed with a bit of the board tape, but the Garrison is sounding pretty good.
    2nd clip down BTW. The first one is me just wanking on Vic's MTD.

4. Cool, man! I'll check 'em out soon.

-Bernie

5. Bernie, dude, when are we getting your clips up somewhere?!?!?!???

6. I owned a 5 string once (I'm a 4 string guy all the way), and I ended up doing E-C. I liked it a lot better that way! If you need a place to host the clips, I can do it for you.

7. Mike,

My brothers and I just started putting together a home studio so hopefully in the not too distant future. :)

-Bernie

8. Sweet!!
    Keep us posted!

9. I sure will!

-Bernie

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    E-C with a detuner is the only way to go on fivers for me these days. Congrats bro! Bet it sounds killer.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good idea on the detuner! Of course, I'd have no idea what to do with a high C string, so BEADG works for me! :)

12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I keep toying with the idea of a high C but I would miss a low B. I think I'll ultimately have to get a 6. A dealer is offering me cost on a Yamaha TRB JP2. Funds are low right now but it is VERY tempting. Although I'd have to keep my Sad for the gigs that want to see a bass as opposed to a fat guitar.

Mike, let us know if you post some more clips. I enjoy seeing as well as hearing great players.

Plus 1 on the detuner. Lee Sklar uses two detuners on his Dingwall on the low B and E string.

13. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Hey guys, I'm thinkin of trying this on my Jazz V instead of changing the strings on my Lakland. Just wondering if there are any 5 string sets that go from E to C? I'm guessing there aren't and I'm just going to have to buy a set of 6, no problem. Thanks

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

From the Home page of TB.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237732

15. This sounds tacky- my bass is a Garrison, it's now tuned like Matt Garrison's, and Low Down Sound has the Fodera Matt Garrison sig strings in stock......so I bought those!
    A Garrison trifecta!

28, 40, 60, 80, 100 if I recall.
    I'll check tonight.

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    In the 70s I owned a 60s Fender BassV, those were tuned E-C, I really like it, shoulda kept it. They never were very popular.
    fenderV.

17. Sound like somebody is going to be using a light touch!!! I use 40-100, so I'm with you!

18. That thing was just in Bass Player. Sounds cool!

19. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    when you put EADGC instead of BEADG did you have to change anything on the bass, or does it just go right on ?

20. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I had an F Bass that I tuned E-C and I am having a Valenti made right now that will be tuned E-C.

I love it too!