Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check my webpage for stuff I left out...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassikLee, May 30, 2005.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    This is the page for my business. I just realised there is NO CONTACT INFO ANYWHERE, so aside from that, what do you see, or not see that needs to be fixed??

thanx,

Lee

www.brevardsoundsystems.com

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I want more.

No, really. it's pretty, but you need more copy. That index page has about three sentences (the others are similar). I think you need to be a bit more descriptive of your services.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i agree, go into detail more about what you do.

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ditto the above posters

You should answer my questions "why do I want to be from YOU?...what makes you so different from the other guy?" Check out your competitons' sites and see how they approach it (don't plagerize, though!)

5. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    More letters arranged in such a fashion as to represent words that describe what we do, gotchya.

Thanx, keep it coming.

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I spend my days online contacting businesses...and on the contact info thing...I'd make sure that it's on all the pages on your site. Even if it's small print and at the bottom. While you do have a 'contact' page, I wouldn't limit yourself to just that. And yes, I know you've already pointed this out.

7. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    OK guys, I looked at the page from the viewpoint of "why do I wanna use this clown" rather than my own viewpoint of "cool, I know exactly what I do".

moving in the right direction??

Lee

www.brevardsoundsystems.com

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am browsing around right now, and it looks good. I especially like the fact that it is very simple in plain text. All kinds of Flash, multimedia, and fancy menu's get in the way sometimes.

I would add a picture of yourself, or maybe a picture of a gig you have recently done. What I mean is not just on the pictures page.

-Mike

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Definitely getting better.

You still need more contact information....fer instance, I live in upstate New York. I've got your email and phone, but I'm guessing you're not in my area...but I'm not sure, because I don't know where your international headquarters are, or what your range of travel is. Will you fly in to do sound for Aunt Mildred's retirement party or do you only travel in a 100 mile range?

I agree that some more graphic interest interspersed might not be a bad idea, but working within your graphic theme.

I'd also suggest that maybe some fine tuning needs to be done with your graphics. Your columns (the grey pannels that frame your text) are fine, but many of your pages' text continue past the columns, so when you scroll down you have a tight column of text surrounded by nothing but white.

Another little code thing...page titles...when your site is in my browser it lists as "Page Title" except for the Equipment page...and the index page which lists as home. If I were you, I'd have your company name up there...

It also might be my resolution and my browser, but your site only takes up the left half of my screen, when the window is maximized...lots of white space past the right column.

Hope you don't take offence to any of this...

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    This is the first page I read. http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com/aboutus.html

It has numerous grammar errors. I did a re-write(and I disclaim it isn't perfect) to give you an idea of a better composition direction.

:)

<SNIP>
    Brevard Sound Systems offers service that is second to none.
    BSS has experience on both ends of a sound system. Our staff offers a unique vision allowing your message to be heard.

BSS offers audio production buyers a diversified palate of
    products and services.

-single piece to complete turn-key system and sub-system sales
    -rentals and leasing
    -computerized analysis and design
    -installation and maintenance
    -audio & acoustic consulting
    -high performance system rental “for hire” rigs.

BSS offers some of the most competitive pricing in Pro-Audio
    products for purchase from the world’s most respected names in
    manufacturing. Our no frills approach to sales ensures the lowest
    possible prices on the products you need.

Through conspicuous attention to detail in system design, construction and implementation, BSS is raising the stakes for high performance audio companies. It is our mission to redefine the standards to which mid-line sound reinforcement providers are held.

BSS is a valuable resource for all your production needs. We can
    assist you in obtaining staging, lighting, broadcast video, portable show power generators, tents and even local and national talent for your events.
    <SNIP>

11. this may be trivial, but it really does speak volumes to potential customers about your attention to detail.

Change the 'title' of each of your pages..
    ie:
    your index page is titled Home
    your services page is titles Page Title
    so are a couple of your other pages...
    remember, this shows in the viewers browsers (the tab with firefox as well as the very top bar of firefox and ie)

I design my 'title' tags with the name of the company (or short form thereof) and the title of the page..

ie, in between the title tages:
    My Company Name -- About Us

again, trivial,, but it's that extra attention to detail when dealing with clients,, can make a big difference..

12. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I'll take all of that as intended. I too thought the text beyond the depth of the grey was annoying. Is there a way to make JUST the text scroll, while leaving the sides alone?? I'll work on the titles too, and contact info, area of coverage, etc. RE: Mildred. Who's playing her party, and what gear do they need??? :)

Lee

13. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    What browser/s are you using? I hve IE, AOL, and Netscape open, and all three show the addresses as www.brevardsoundsystems.com/"pagename".html

I am getting a wee bot of space to the right in netscape and aol, though not with IE. Odd. More time, tomorrow.

Thanx and keep looking!

Lee

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My regular browser is Firefox, but I also checked the site in IE just to make sure. They both appear the same on my computer. My screen resolution is 1400x1050, although I have the same issues in 1280x1024.

The page titles (what shows at the top of your browser window) is what we're talking about for labeling...

With scrolling text you're gonna need to get a bit more um...into the deep end of the pool. Either a well designed frame (so many aren't) or CCS.

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You're website is in the top 1% for speed, clarity and usability.

Anything much beyond whats already there may make you feel a little better but it'll work worse.

You could stand maybe a pic or two of the big rig set up and looking pro but I'd keep that to a minimum for the sake of speed.

You're about done. A+