Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out a couple of my recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Cornbread, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Here are a couple of my "songs":
    <a href="http://funk.shacknet.nu/~dcs/Cornbread%20-%20Loneliness.MP3">Stinky Feet Blues</a>. It's just me playing my crappy ibanez and singing (badly? you be the judge). I recorded it last year.

<a href="http://funk.shacknet.nu/~dcs/Cornbread%20-%20Stinky%20Feet%20Blues.mp3">Loneliness</a> is a little more involved. I should fix a few things, but it's good enough for now. I used my 6er, but the bassline isn't special. There are two tracks of bass, a midi track, and my spoken track, which I recorded onto a mini-tape recorder before recording onto the computer to get that certain effect. I recorded it earlier this month.

Let me know what you think.

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Are they THAT bad?!?!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Slow down there cowboy, you have to give us a chance to respond... :)

I listened to "Stinky Feet Blues", and dug the bass. The only criticism I can give is that you might want to change it up a little. It's kind of a lot of the same thing over and over, maybe some dynamics change, or a few different bridges and whatnot. Otherwise, very good, keep up the good work!

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I have to admit I'm not good at writing songs. Stinky Feet is just a blues progression all the way through with bass noodling at the end.
    Thanks for checking it out.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Don't start saying "I can't write songs" or "I'm not good". Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to the dark side. Or something like that.

Just keep writing. You can't crank out hit right away. It's a process.

6. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i've heard both and i agree to superduck.
    they are cool but they get boring after a while.
    you should spice them up a bit, perhaps by tempo-changes, bridges, anything you can think of!

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am looking forward to hearing em when I get home... no sound card in my work PC. :p

It's hard to work so hard. :D

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    cool tuneage guy..... lonely is kinda spacey, I'm so stoned music.

The bluesy one is more up my alley. But it's recorded sooo quiet. You need to get it recorded at a higher level. It sounds a bit naked with no other instruments. You could even add a fake drum beat like I did with mine... gives it a bit of life.

9. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Thanks! I was basically trying to get a Pink Floyd/Roger Waters sound with Loneliness. What kind of equipment did you use to record your stuff? I go straight to the computer, which seems to be tough to do without distorting much.
    Anyway, thanks for the comments.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    In mine so far I have used hammerhead software to make the drums, my line out on the soundcard to send them to a tascam 4 track, then recorded the bass and guitar through my Carvin Cyclops line out, and finally recorded my voice straight into the 4-track through a MIC. I am trying to move over to computer recording but for some reason I can't record sepperate tracks. (one is fine, two is two+one, three is three+two+one... it's weird. I have a call into Sonic Foundry on that. You might have the same problem that I fear that I do.... a cheap sound card. I have a onboard ess solo-1 sound card, which I feel is the root of my problem. what sound card do you have? YOu can download hammerhead for free, by the way. It is freeware. You can find it on http://www.downloads.com I think.

11. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I've got a "Crystal SoundFusion PCI" soundcard. I don't know much about it. I use a multitrack recorder called Quartz Audiomaster (which is also free). It would be nice to record multiple tracks simultaneously, but I can play just one thing at a time anyway. :)