Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out and critique the bass!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by jmareel, Sep 20, 2002.

1. jmareel

jmareel Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Anywhere, USA
  2. Examined Life - nice rythmic variations, great fills, cool tone: deep, no sharpness noisy tones and still an little bit of agressive punch

Intravenous - yeah, agressive fast, nice pop, I really dig it, cool mellower (genious) part (relatively speaking to the song)

Save my life - too twangy pushy modality in the beginning, but I like the stuff you do over the acoustic guitar solo, at the end you get virtuosic and save the day

I think the sight of your right hand must be "poetry in motion".
    Keep up the groove. ;)

3. jmareel

jmareel Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Anywhere, USA
    Wow! Thank you for the kind words, is there a place where I can hear your material?

Thanks Again.

4. No not yet. I once did go with my band to a studio to record a cd. But that was some lame rock stuff, it was in the beginning of my "career".
    This cd does not represent me.

I had some cool metal songs in an other band wich we performed live, but never recorded. I played lead bass, I was a guitarist wannabe.

Now I'm busy going solo, and I have a few songs bass/vocals that I am working out.
    The style I want people to feel that it must fall into is progressive metal, but that's very hard with only one instrument. Heaviness without drums and guitars, and there's limited symphony and harmony when playing solo.

I'll do a post about it when I have my first instrumental song ready, it only needs to be produced now.

And once again (I'm not sucking up to); that second song; that pop you do between fingerpicking. It really inspires me to new aspects of fingerversitality. You bet other people around here will say it's brilliant.

Who are your influences ?

5. jmareel

jmareel Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Anywhere, USA
    Influences:

Geddy Lee from Rush
    Norwood Fisher from Fishbone
    Billy Gould from Faith No More
    Robert Trujillo from Suicidal Tendencies, Infectious Grooves, and Ozzy Osbourne.
    Ben Giley from Fred Green. www.fredgreen.com
    Flea from Fear, The Red Hot Chili-Peppers, and, for awhile, Janes Addiction.
    And, Of Course,
    Mike Watt

But I would have to say that Randy Best, our bands guitarist, is my main influence, he writes the majority of this amazing sh$#! and deserves all the credit.

Other great influences:
    Iron Maiden
    Metallica
    Ths Smiths
    The Cure
    Pantera
    Social Unrest
    Bad Religion

How about you?

6. I thought that bassist from Incubus was also one of your influences.
    But I see a connection to the bassists you mentioned.

My main influence (my god) is a duth keyboard-player, Arjen Anthony Lucassen. He brings progressive music. I would is an utopia for me to coörperate with him someday, he does a lot of projects with european metal musicians that I admire. But I'm not that good to fit between those virtuoses.

I also like many early romantic classical composers, especially Bedrich Smetana.

As for bassists: Cliff Burton (Metallica). Damn he had it going. The reason I took up bass.
    And Justin Chancellor from Tool a little bit. I sometimes try to play like him, but I don't use a pick.

7. jmareel

jmareel Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Anywhere, USA
    Just an FYI, I would apprecite any input at all.

-Thank You.

8. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I'm only using my ibook now w/just dial up available and it takes fifteen minutes to download one song so I just heard the first one. the other thing is that this barbie purse (ibook) has one tiny mono speaker so the bass is getting pretty bogarted out by the guitar and drums. however, sounds like you played well w/what you had to work w/and I commend you for that. I have to tell you it's hard to tell someone about their own music. good luck to you and your crew!

on bass, watt

9. jmareel

jmareel Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Anywhere, USA
    I understand the hinderances of low bandwidth modems and am very glad that you were able to listen to the song you did. Thank you for your time, it is definitely an honor.

10. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hey,

no prob. keep at it and the best of luck to you!

on bass, watt