Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out Carlos Henriquez!!!!!![Killin]

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by WhiteBass, Oct 7, 2004.

1. WhiteBass

WhiteBass

Oct 7, 2004
    The guy is out of here with his sound and bass playing.. I just heard
    him on a Danilo Perez album. Does anyone know this kat??

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I saw him touring in support of Wynton Marsalis' The Magic Hour album back in April. Nice player; fine concert.

The band used absolutely minimal front-of-house sound and appeared to be using no monitors at all. That was very cool for the first set -- Ellington all the way. The second set was the Magic Hour material. As the drummer stepped up the pace, Henriquez' sound was lost. Another victim of "mic-on-a-pole" syndrome. (Yeah, I know, JP uses m-o-a-p but he's also got two or three other sources and a soundman who travels.)

Anyway, Henriquez is a tasty player, capable of covering a wide range of material, holding down some of the premier gigs in jazz. If he sounded somewhat old-school in Wynton's quartet we can only assume he was covering the gig in an entirely appropriate fashion.

And welcome to the DB board, Mr. White. Kindly fill out your profile and feel free to speak your piece!

3. WhiteBass

WhiteBass

Oct 7, 2004
    I see your point Sam, however, the blame might not be on the bassist but the sound man. Mic on the pole theory has caused alot of controversies through out the years of the double bass. We need to understand that the bass is a string instrument and one that also produces air in the chambers of the lower bouts of the bass. This action resorts in the making of sound and not the bridge which many of the today's great bassist think. Not every mirror can be cleaned perfectly....Tone and volume should surpass all others.....

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I do. As a matter of fact Carlos was picking up a bass from me today. I was finding it hard to concentrate working on his bass cuz he kept playing another[playing the bass part to some of the more intense Ellington Nutcracker stuff while singing the lines!]. I don't know much about mike-on-a-pole but I do know that I have to worry more about stuff falling off the wall when he plays then when others do. Carlos is a young guy who knows the value of "old school".

5. I got to see him doin the Magic Hour stuff too and was very impressed. It was supposed to be for Magic Hour but they didn't play that much from the c.d., just a couple tunes. He is a monster player with out a doubt and was doin some pretty hip stuff but still had that like you say "old school" touch to him. I'm sure we will see plenty of him in the future.