Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out Jason Newsted's new project

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 9, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like the songs.

The bassline on Glean Right is nice.

3. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    Wow. I really like it.

4. MAJOR METAL

Thats pretty cool :hyper: :bassist:

5. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Yeah, Glean Right's pretty cool. It seems odd he got pissed at Metallica for going unmetalish, and this is the kind, but it's good music. I just hate Jason Newsted.

6. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    I agree with everything you just said, except the Kirk Hammet statement. I was just saying I didn't understand why take such a left turn from the direction you were defending. I don't know why I hate him, I've just always felt it. No reason, blind hate, not good to have, but I cannot control it.

7. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Im just listening to the songs now, they are good not really my sorta thing but its good to see Jason still progressing in music. Hang on a sec I can actually hear the bass...makes a difference to when he was in metallica, slightly off topic but i heard somewhere that lars or james(correct me if im wrong) they actually said they purposly put Jasons bass really low in the mix.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Not bad, it sort of reminds me of Hater, but a little cleaner sounding and not as sloppy.

9. Obviously no-one in this thread actually knows why Jason left the band, it had nothing to do with musical direction! he left because Metallica was taken time off, seeing as he dedicated himself to music he had nothing to do during that time but play music. James was preventing Jason from releasing any of this work, the Echobrain project was the straw that broke the camels back. That and they picked on him for 10 years !!!

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've also heard that Jason wasn't as supportive of the whole Napster issue as others in the band, but the whole Echobrain issue I'm sure is really why he left.

11. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    This is why I turned away from metallica. I will still listen to their older stuff, but not newer. They started out with underground music trading, now that they are richy rich they attack that. Bah.

Edit: I listened to this. Cool stuff.

12. MAJOR METAL

My favorite Metallica years were the ones with Jason. :hyper: :bassist:

13. MAJOR METAL

I am listening to this right now through head phones and man i am i really digging it , some great tone as well ! :hyper: :bassist:

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow, wasn't expecting it to sound that good! I like it!

15. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Somewhere in heaven, Cliff Burton is crying...:crying:

16. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    Wow, I never knew Jason had it in him.

17. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    That was in "And Justice For All...", barely any bass at all in the mix.

In every Metallica album after AJFA the bass is right there, thick, loud, and crunchy - in fact, I wanted to play guitar but heard Jason's tone in the black album and said fsk the guitar, "I want to sound like THAT!" :cool:

Jason's tone on Load and Reload is ridiculously good. Ampeg + Sadowsky = mmmmmm... tasty!

18. I dig it! The basslines are cool and the tones are sweet. I love the laidback vibe. And would have thunk that he would be an interesting singer, too!

Good for him!

19. It's OK. Maybe if I listen to it a few times some of the music will bleed into my brain and usually if the songs are good, I'll like them. Of course this is all just my own opinion. But I'm digging the last song "led right". Very Bluesy which is what I like. I do not like the vocals. I cant knock the bass lines at all. They are tight w/ the drums and I like the way they are built. My only complaint is the vocals and the repetitveness of the songs. A little boring.

20. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    I like it tool, I remember reading something about Jason being pretty bored with Metallica musically. I think this was a few months after he left. I remember him complaining about never getting to play in a key that wasn't Eb minor. I guess I can understand that, at least he made his millions first so he can fund all these cool new projects.