1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check out my 1960 Fender Precision - bass at a crossroads

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squarewave, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Now your talkin'!!! I would give up ALL MY VINTAGE BASSES, easily, for the right car. And, I'd pay for the car, too, to boot. To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sure I love a beautifully-engineered sports car more than basses.
    I've put, no, I've poured a significant amount of money into my current ride.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well, if you're going to end up selling it, then if it were me, i'd do it in burst. IME, there seems to be more buyers for bursts than custom colors.

3. What John says, or go for a safe, standard color (sunburst, white), or a custom-color that everyone likes. Things like Burgundy Mist, Seafoam Green,... are nice, but are not everybody's cup of tea.

4. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Yes, I agree with you guys on the color. Perhaps if I am going to sell it, I should just sell it as-is, and let the next owner decide the color. I could even ship it straight to John K for finishing.

Of course, it would be a shame not to have the finished bass in my hands for a while to enjoy it. It's very lightweight, which is a nice change from all other P-basses I've owned.

5. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Why not just keep it natural. It has its own story to tell and I think it's pretty. So either just show off the original wood or put on none original paint and cover up the story and what it's been through. Just my two cents. I would just put some oil on it and call it done. I would call fender to and tell them the story and see if they will give you an official decal for the headstock.

6. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    No, I think this one must return to it's former beauty. It had the worst re-fin I'd seen. I wish I had taken pictures.

7. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    OK, I think I'm going to go with a 'burst on this one. It should look great with the original tort pick guard.

8. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    By this time next year I'm going to treat myself to a 1961 Precision. (my birth year) I missed out on a beat 1960 P bass back in the early 1990's for $600.

9. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    :hyper::bassist::Dmail it to my house