Check out my band...please?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Hello all,
    I recently started up an site for my band, State of Confusion. We're a high school band so don't expect anything exceptional, but we tried to mix a bunch of different types of music together (in the case of this song, swing and hard rock) and hopefully you'll like it. is the website, and I'd appreciate it if some of you kind folks would check out song is all I ask! Feedback needed.
  2. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Do you like that type of music?

Who sings?
  3. I'm sorry, I don't understand the first question. As for the second, our guitar player sings. I actually don't play bass in this band (I play guitar in this one and I play bass in a jazz/funk combo), but I did write most of the bassline.
  4. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I think he's getting at 'if you like it that's all that matters'. Either way, it wasn't bad...I remember my high school bands...DEAR LORD, let's not go there:D

Keep it up and above all, HAVE FUN.

5. it's pretty interesting stuff. i like your playing, the lead guitar and the drums. the rhythm guitar doesn't keep rhythm too well, and i don't think the singer is too good. it's pretty different stuff though, i like that.
  6. Thanks for listening, fellas. I do think we're okay for a high school band and I like writing with the other guitarist (who did the first solo) but I just wanted some input from all the fine folks at TB.
  7. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    So you sing? ;)
  8. Nah, there's two of us, although I'm sorry for being confusing in that sentence.
  9. i downloaded "pain sells"...i guess i could describe it best as "elevator rock"
  10. Care to clarify? ;)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds pretty good, man.:) As DHC said, the rhythm guitar needs a little work.
  12. Thanks, and yes, this was a pretty sloppy live recording. Usually we're tighter (at least I like to think so) and the rhythm guitar works better.
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I listened to both tracks.

Before I rip them to shreds;) I think that the idea/concept/vision thing is good.

Draino song-Liked it a lot and I don't know why. There are songs outside of ones listening tastes that weedle their way in and stay there, this is one of them. I really liked the way that the solo ended Queen like. I liked the gear changes. I liked the sounds.

Criticism-song was too long or needed more twists and turns. Vocal mixed too high. Also with this type of narrative singing (as I call it) don't even try to sing. Listen to stuff by Ian Dury Lou Reed Mick Jones(Clash)Tom Waites-it's not pretty but it does the job. Your singer was trying to sing too much. The song seemed to drift from being locked in to less cohesion. All IMHO and I work in an office.

Instrumental-this fits in with the band style and I liked the riff, maj to maj7 ? There were some good use of dynamics (guitars and drums droping out at various points and the bass going high). The guitar solo's were fluid enough and good use of the woman tone.

criticism-too long or needs some suprises as unlike the first song there werent none. IMHO

Finally-If you play UK let me know, I would go see you. The general idea is good and can be excuted better which you probably do live and will improve with more playing. I would look at using more off the wall sections coupled with more melodic ones.

All the above is IMHO hope it helped
  14. Thank you, CS, that was the most helpful criticism I think we've gotten so far. I do agree with you on a lot of those points, as well. The guitar riff in the instrumental is maj7-min7. And unfortunately it would be hard for you to see us play because we live on the other side of the Atlantic. Thanks for listening!
  15. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    You are welcome