Check out my bands demo. Need listeners ASAP.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by odie, Dec 4, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well my band has recently purchases a Tascam 788 hard disk recorder. We needed to get a demo out to start booking gigs now that we have our singer situation under wraps. So we recorded a few tunes to put on a disk.

First time using anything other than a old tape style 4 track. Also a first in using compression etc.

So it is pretty rough, and has some amateur moments. We did all our recording under 5 hours including mic'ing and tweaking.

One track is a cover(a no no at Soundclick )
    The other is an original I wrote, minus drums and vocal. I wrote guitar(another first) and the bass. Not a bass player song for sure!!

Let me know what you think.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    w00t for gary numan. :)

your original is pretty good, the tempo change from the beginning to the first verse sounds a bit abrupt to me. still, though as a demo it sounds very good - you got very good instrument sounds going on. what kind of mic did you use for the vocals? it sounds like you used a standard dynamic mic, and the vocals sound a bit dull - you should try to get your hands on a nice condenser mic, the vocals would blossom, imo. good vocals tonally, but the singer needs to watch his pitch a bit, like on the 2nd verse. still, though it's not that bad.
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

We used just a Shure 58 with a nylon stocking over a coat hanger to act as a pop shield held by duck tape. So nothing good or fancy. We just used the hard disk recorder and an Alesis unit. Drums misc are just a D-112(kick), 2 58's for over heads, and a 57 on the snare. So all low budget and low-fi.

I know the pitch is off, voice was giving out after a a couple hours of vocal takes. Plus we didnt have time to do them over. It usually sounds better, unfortunately we ended up going with a non typical performance.

I know it doesnt compete with a studio or equipment.

Thanx JT I didnt think anyone was going to give them a listen!!
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sorry man, I listened yesterday, but when I came to write about it TB was down.

at anyrate,

Carved, I really like everyone's tone, except the vocals, I don't know exactly what it needs, the singers voice is good for the song, but something is missing, I'm tempted to say, it almost needs that kind of distant reverby linkin park sound, You already sort of have that effect going, but maybe it needs to be more prominent. maybe he's just too loud in the mix *shrug*

Cars- Again, I really like the bass/guitar tone, the drums are a little weak, but given the song, they fit, the vocals are great! :D I dig this one a lot, good job!

overall, it sounds VERY mature, very together, and very good. understanding you used an AIO studio solution for it, the sound issues I pointed out, are really a none-issue, I'm sure you sound great live. but yeah, the vocals need some consideration on the first track, they need to blend with everything else I think.
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wrong Robot- Hey thanx alot.

I ended up remixing with a different effect on the vocals. Its more of a shimmer than the echo I had on the previously. I also put it lower in the mix.

Im not sure which version you heard.(Carved original) I reposted it late last night around midnight. But it takes a while before its posted . Give it another listen if you can handle it. Maybe it will be better??
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

7. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I like it, I think it's a great recording, certainly good enough to do for your band what you need it to do.

I think the bass could have been just a smidge louder.. I like the bass tone.. nice and knocky.

How'd you record the bass, direct or mic'd or both? what bass did you use? what amp did you use?

Funny side note, the last band I was in, we were gonna call ourselves crawlspace!!!
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well never call a band Crawlspace. We didnt realize that there are hundereds of bands by that name. The most famous being from Cananda.

That is why we had to make it crawlspace noise for internet purposes.

Thanx for the compliments. It means alot. I was pretty self conscious considering I wrote and played everything but the drums.

For bass I used a Modulus Q5 with EMG's running into a Sansamp to add color and some spit to it. I added some compression 2/1 with a fast attack. I am a finger player but I usually record with a pick.

I usually play thru an Eden but I am to lazy to drag it around. So I have no idea how it records. I might be missing out!!!

We are actually #1 on the Alernative/other and #6 on Alternative cahrts. And we are in the top 20 or so with our cover tune.
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sevendust used to be called crawlspace too.
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

JT- Did you give Carved a listen since I remixed it?
  11. I like. nice sound Odie.

Gary Numan sweet! I am working on a cover of Bombers by Tubeway Army.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Carved, instrumentation sounds cool, vocals are off pitch a lot. He wavers WAY out on the drawn out notes in the chorus. He sounds like he's straining with his lungs and not pushing with his stomach. Overall, I like it. I hate that Gary Numan song, so much so that I can't possibly review it clearly, so I didn't listen to it.
  13. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Carved is the tune that I checked out. You might want to add some steel guitars and some female back-up singers though.
  14. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Huh... theres a song called "My Ruin" by a band called Crawlspace on one of the Mortal Kombat soundtracks, and I always thought Sevendust ripped them off. Learn something new every day.
  15. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    listened to it and have to agree with the above comments. the low budget sound is undeniable, but the same goes for the talent!
  16. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Carved: the drums seem to be "in the middle". They're up-front and direct, but not "loud". Think they would work better either recorded a bit hotter (a little analog saturation somehow?), or moved back a bit. OR maybe just add a bit of reverb. They have that "drums in a room" sound that doesn't quite work for me.

Cars: narrow the stereo spread on the drums, and spread out the guitar. I think that would fit the crunchy sound a lot better. Again, the drums are "big but not loud" and the guitar is "loud but small".