1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check out my bands Demo we just recorded at Westbeach in Hollywood

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PRBassman, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hey guys, you should check out my band on myspace and check out the demo we just released at myspace.com/thepennyroyalties and leave us some feedback about what you think.

Thanks, Jake

2. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Overall I'd say it's a very solid sounding demo - quite tight and solid and there seems to be lots of chemistry between everyone in the band. Solid vocals as well - the guy has a voice that is simultaneously easy to listen to and a bit edgy, which is nice. Definitely a lot of good potential here, and your songs were generally enjoyable and well thought-out. Your indie style isn't 100% what I'm into, but if I hear it on the radio I wouldn't turn the station :)

I thought the bass parts were all well-played and suited the songs quite well, though I did think the bass was a little low in the mix (maybe it's just my headphones). There were a few places where the guitars didn't seem to mesh with each other as well as they could, whether because one was just a tad out of tune from the other, or whatever, but those were few and far between and probably mostly noticeable because I was listening for little details.

I think if I had to give you one major (constructive) criticism it would be that you almost have too MUCH variety in your sound, which probably wouldn't hurt you much from a radio-single point of view, but if I hadn't known better I would have been a bit surprised to find out those songs were all the same band.

I think the trick to not only writing memorable songs, but also being a memorable band with staying power is to have as much variety as you can while still sounding like the same band. Might be something to work on a bit more, but if that's the worst thing I can find to harp on, that's a good sign :)

3. is cool..
    i would change the snare drum to one with a heavier sound.

and stop using
    one guitar left, and one right.

everything else my friends.. to my ears is perfect.
    well done!

4. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    I like it. The snare should be heavier like the guy above said but I really like it. Your vocalist is perfect for this type of music.

5. Thanks guys, we need all the criticism we can get, this is just our first demo, we are still kind of trying to find out our sound all the way, this just the first demo, we recorded all 5 tracks in 16 hours including mixing, so we where kind of limited on time, be sure to check out the next batch when we go back to the studio, should be way more focused!