Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my bands new songs!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Aug 19, 2004.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey all,

My band just finished our first full-length CD. We are really happy with it and I wanted to share some of the songs with you guys and see what you think. I'm much happier with my bass tone and the way it sits in the mix than I am with our earlier recordings... but I'm still a little overly critical and I keep finding stuff I need to work on.

Anyway, here's the link:
    www.purevolume.com/adaine

Check it out and give me your opinions!

--Justin
    :bassist:

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Good stuff. Not a big fan of the style of music you play, but its very well recorded and played. I really enjoyed "Harbor", but the heavy part caught me by suprise hehe.

Keep up the good work!

3. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the reply Juneau. We worked really hard to make a good album so we are pretty pleased with it... especially since we did everything ourselves (except mastering). "Harbor" always seems to catch people off-guard which is fun for the band to see.

Anyone else check out the songs??

--Justin

4. First of all, I AM a fan of your band's style of a music except for the screaming vocals. Overall, your band sounds A LOT like Incubus with screaming vocals added in.

The quality of the recordings are very good, and they seem mixed very well. However, the bass could have been mixed a little better. I can only really hear you when you do slides (and the runs you do on "Beneath the Golden Lotus"). It's enough to at least know you're there, though.

"Harbor" is probably the best of the 3. And I was surprised when that heavy part came in from out of nowhere. The female vocals provide a nice contrast.

"Beneath the Golden Lotus" is good too. The opening is pretty cool - it sounds like the drummer is walking into the room, and then everyone else turning on there amps and plugging in. This part is also mixed very well stereo-wise. And I like that riff @ 3:45.

The intro to "Evensong" is pretty cool. I don't mind the screaming on this song so much, since it works quite well as sort of a dialogue between the screaming and non-screaming vocals (is this one or two vocalists?).

Overall, it's not anything amazing obviously, but still pretty good. It's especially good considering you recorded and mixed it yourselves. Nice work! :)

5. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thank you for all the kind words CrazySean! I really appreciate it. The weird thing with the bass on the recording is that some stereos it REALLY stands out and others it's not as loud. Plus, those mp3's aren't the best quality (the best I could get though) so the CD sounds quite a bit better. Anyway, thank you again for checking out the songs and all the kind words!!

--Justin

6. No problem. All in a day's work, my friend. :)