Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my band's new website

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 19, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

www.luciddreamer.net

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

There are a couple of dead links, I should have a 'Coming Soon' page for those by tomorrow.

This is the first time I have ever designed or made a web page, so help me out. Give me some constructive criticism.:)

2. Fading thing is awesome, but is a little slow IMO. Maybe speed that up a little. On the main page, move the links to other pages over to the left side, like all the way. Also, make it so it has the links on the side on every page so people don't have to hit the back button to find the links to pages again once their done on one. On the media page where you have links to other things, that can propose a problem which is easy to fix. Move the links for the media pages to the center and put the links to the other pages to the side - Once again, only if you do what I think looks good. The Home button really shouldn't bring the user back to the splash page, it should bring them to the index2.htm page.

Those are my thoughts on it, mainly the way I setup pages (hence www.whmoh.com), but other than those thoughts which I think would make it better, it looks good for someone who has just started! Keep workin and eventually you'll get really good.

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole

3. embellisher

Thanks for the critique, Tyler. It is still a work in progress, and I may even change the layout of the internal pages to a more uniform look.

What do you think of the intro page? I changed a couple of things.

Anybody else?

Oh yeah, the mp3s from our December studio date are on the Music page. Check those out!:D

4. I noticed that you made it so it doesn't fade. The fade thing was pretty neat, but you don't HAVE to fade. Still, the home button shouldn't bring it back to the splash page, and IMO the home button should be on the top of the nav button list.

I got to go (in class) so I'll check it out further when I get home.

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole

5. embellisher

It was fading last night when I went to bed. Looks like I need to work on it when I get home tonight.

6. Just listened to the songs! Soundin good man. I dig "I'm So Happy" a lot. I'm not a big fan of christian rock (mainly because all of it around here sucks and I'm not that big on religion or anything), but you guys actually make it sound good!

Also, this is a bump for other's too check it out!

7. embellisher

Thanks, Tyler!:cool: I will have some of our older mp3s up in a few days. Those are the three songs we recorded in December. I wrote I'm so happy.;)

We are currently working on two new songs that I am really excited about. They are more modern sounding than those songs, and IMHO have potential to be the best songs we have ever done.

8. Thats cool. New material is always fun to look forward too! What's the story behind "Im So Happy"?? I didn't see it on the page where the songs are explained. Still looks like you got quite a bit of work ahead of you on the site, so I'll let you be. If you need any help, I'm always free to help, IM me on AIM! Bassplayer66669

9. embellisher

I still have a lot of work to do on the website, obviously. Kind of stalled out, because I had to reload my PC the last two days, so I haven't had time to work on it.

The story behind I'm so happy? The meaning of the lyrics refers to the day that I gave my life to the Lord and received His Spirit.

The funny part of the story is that I wrote it when I was 15. I had just bought a cheap Casio keyboard, and wrote it on that. I envisioned big guitars, big synth parts, and operatic vocals. Funny how tastes change as we get older. One out of three isn't bad.:D

It is not in the original form. The chord progression changed, and the lyrics changed some too. That's the way it works with my band. When one of us brings a new song, the way it winds up is totally different than what we started with. Once I add my bass parts, and our drummer funks it up a little, most of our guitarists songs sound pretty different than they started. So when they do it to one of my songs, it's cool. And I like the way it turned out, too. Kind of Kiss meets Aerosmith with a little funk thrown in.

I just wish that the bass was a little more audible. It sounded great through the high $$$$ reference monitors at the studio, but is kind of lost in the mix on a lesser stereo system.

10. Wow. When you were 15? Crazy! Anyways, yeah, I'll make up something, or one of my guitarists, but when it's all together it sounds different then we had invisioned. Can't say it's a bad thing though!

11. It's because it's like the only thing I don't feel clueless talking about :meh:

That and we are so awesome!

12. embellisher

:D

Hey, I am just trying to keep the thread near the top, so I can get more comments!:D

13. It's a good cause!

14. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ll give you my comments / suggestions.

I like the site. Has several sections, and interesting info about the band.
    I´d suggest 2 things:

- Fonts: try not to use so many different styles (serif, sans serif) and fonts (arial, TNR, Verdana, etc.) It´s important to give a more consistent look to the whole site. Will be better integrated if you choose 2 o 3. Less is more.
    - Backgrounds: Same things. Try to design a fixed BG (or choose one of the already used ones), design a logo or a watermark. These will improve things a lot. Try to choose mainly Black or White BG, coz they give a better contrast with the letters.

Just my .02, hope it helps.

15. embellisher

Thanks for the input, Papersen.

You know how us newbies are, we overdo it the first time.:D

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Jeff, looks good man, and is informative as well.

After browsing around some, I found this on a link to the upper room:

In case you've been wondering why we've been closed for the past few weeks, its because we're changing our venue format... sort of. Instead of doing live concerts as we have in the past, we're now offering what in essence is a "live demo cd." So here's how it works:
    - Any band can book a session for $100.
    - With this, you will be professionally recorded on a multi-track system while you perform on stage.
    - Since it is more of a recording session rather than a concert, if we need you to redo a song, etc, we'll ask you to start over (so we get the best recording possible.)
    - After the session, the tracks will be mastered and each member of the band will recieve a copy of their demo cd.
    - Additional cds may be ordered through Reluctant Records for very reasonable prices.
    - Since it is a "live" recording, bands are encouraged to bring fans for the audience.
    - Door fee will be $5, with the band receiving $2 a person. The session costs $100, so if the band brings 50 people, it is free. If you bring 60 people, we pay you $20.
    - A summary page will be made soon to help explain more of the procedures.
    - For more information, please call

It sounds like that would be a nice option, but kinda sucks it is apparently now mandatory. Pay to play is no fun, and it sounds like an arm twisting tactic to myself.

17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    So thats what you look like with SOME hair! :D

Cool site. Not bad at all. :)

18. embellisher

Thanks, Joe.

19. embellisher

Tim,

Yeah, the new format at the Upper Room is pretty much pay to play.

The venue is 45 miles from downtown Dallas, and the only source of revenue that they have is the 2 or 3 small towns nearby.

Every time we have played there, the only people there were people that we and the other bands that played brought with us.

They have been losing money for some time, but since it is considered a 'ministry', the church below the club has been subsidizing them. The first 18 months they were open they drew decent crowds from the neighboring communities, but I guess the kids found something else to do on Friday and Saturday nights.

We will be doing a recording gig in February or March, but needless to say, that is the only time that we will be playing there, unless they have another battle of the bands or something.

20. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd concur with the comments about making it more consistent - try to make it look like it's all one site rather than theming each section differently.

I'd also suggest putting a logo or text linking back to the home page at the top of each section.

Wulf